LM6000 Gas Turbine Outputs/Inputs

In summary: Using the table, if you run the machine at full load for an hour, you will use 43822 kJ of fuel and generate 109311.54 kJ of heat. This leaves you with a net electrical efficiency of 39%.
kyles
I am doing research and was curioius as to how I would obtain useful numbers for efficiencies from the following information, concerning a CHP aero derivative turbine,

Power KW = 43822
Heat Rate LHV KJ/kWH = 8980

From this, can I say that if I ran the machine for an hour I would use 43,882KWH and receive 109311.54KWH of heat out put [ from, (8980kj/kwh x 43822kwh)*1000/(3.6MJ)) = 109311.54KWH ]

However, when I use the table for running at full load, the electrical efficiency of the machine is 39%. I considered that this may be total efficiency but 39% for a CHP seems way too small, should be closer to 60-70 right?

Which means that I put in 43822KWH/.39 = 112364.1KWH but got out 109311+43882=153193KWH.

As I am sure that this is not an over-unity machine, can anyone show me where I am going wrong?

Engineering news on Phys.org
It's a generator: kJ/kWh is how much heat you need to input for every kWh you get in output. You've got the efficiency equation upside-down!

Hm, why aren't both units in energy then, one's in power. I realized I wasn't de-rating the heat output so I think that's where I was going wrong. I guess what I'm trying to find out is the following,

"If I was a unit of fuel going into the generator how many units of energy would I make, how much heat would I make and how much waste would I make."

I apologize for my inexperience, I am very unfamiliar with CHP machines.

A kWh is an energy unit, not power.

kJ/kWh is the normal way to express fuel consumption for an engine fuelled by gas. Convert to kJ/kWs (divide by 3600), take the reciprocal, and that is your efficiency.

For overall efficiency, you also need to consider the amount of heat you are recovering through your CHP system.

What is the LM6000 gas turbine?

The LM6000 is a type of gas turbine engine used for power generation and mechanical drive applications. It is manufactured by General Electric and is known for its reliability and efficiency.

What are the outputs of the LM6000 gas turbine?

The outputs of the LM6000 gas turbine include mechanical power, electrical power, and exhaust gas. The mechanical power is used to drive a generator or other mechanical equipment, while the electrical power is used to supply electricity to a power grid. The exhaust gas is used for heating or can be released into the atmosphere.

What are the inputs required for the LM6000 gas turbine?

The LM6000 gas turbine requires a fuel source, typically natural gas or liquid fuel, to generate power. It also requires a source of air for combustion, which can be supplied through an inlet duct or by a compressor. Additionally, it needs a source of water or steam for cooling and lubrication.

What is the maximum output of the LM6000 gas turbine?

The LM6000 gas turbine has a maximum output of 52 megawatts (MW) for power generation and 70,000 horsepower (hp) for mechanical drive applications. However, the output can vary depending on factors such as ambient temperature, fuel quality, and maintenance status.

What are the advantages of using the LM6000 gas turbine?

The LM6000 gas turbine offers several advantages, including high efficiency, low emissions, and quick start-up time. It also has a compact design, making it suitable for various installation locations. Additionally, its dual-fuel capability allows for flexibility in fuel sources, and its advanced control system enables efficient operation and maintenance.