Loading a video on the internet

In summary, the problem involves a video that loads at a rate of 1/3rd of a second of footage per second and can be played while loading. To watch the whole video without interruptions, one must start watching 2 hours into the loading process. If one waits 4 minutes before playing the video, it will get interrupted after 6 minutes due to continuous loading. This can also be solved by finding the intersection of two lines representing the loading and watching processes.
guss
This isn't a homework problem, but I'm going to make it sound like one because I think that's the best way to explain it.

An hour-long video on the computer loads 1/3rd of a second of footage every second. The video can be played while it is loading.

a)What is the minimum amount you have to wait, if the video has just begun loading, before you can play the whole video uninterrupted (as in, without having to wait for it to load)?

b)If you wait 4 minutes, then play the video, how long until the video gets interrupted and requires more footage to be loaded?

They are supposed to be tricky because (for example in b) while you are playing the first 4 minutes of footage, more footage will continue to load. And while you are playing that footage, even more footage will load. And so on.

I think the solution to this problem is probably simple, I'm just curious on how to do it.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You can convert these kinds of problems into algebraic expressions. For example, let's define x to be minutes passed and y to be the length of footage.

For the video loading, it would be described by [itex]y=x/3[/itex] because as every minute passed, 1/3 of the footage has been loaded. At y=60 (60 minutes of footage) x=180 (minutes taken to load the video).

For watching the video, we can describe it by [itex]y=x-c[/itex] (c is some constant that represents the time at which we start watching) because for every minute watched, a minute of footage passes.

Now we find the intersection of these lines and substitute in a value of x or y that we know, but an easier way is just to take the second equation and let y=60, x=180 then 60=180-c, thus c=120. So to watch the video without waiting for it to load we need to start watching at least 2 hours into the loading.

Can you try the second question?

Yeah, this is pretty simple...

In particular, part 'a' can be solved by simple reasoning...basically, it takes 3 times as long to download than to watch, so, a 1-hour long video is going to take 3 hours to download; if you want to watch it uninterrupted, you need to start 1 hour before it finishes downloading...that is, you need to start watching 2 hours into the download.

Part 'b' is best solved by drawing two lines and finding the intersection...the first (downloading) line starts at the origin with a slope of 1/3...the watching line starts at the 4 minute mark with a slope of 1 ...find the intersection and that's when you need to wait for more download.

Thanks guys! Makes a lot of sense now. I was wayyy over thinking this problem. A way I thought of to solve b soon after I made this post was to do this infinite sum:

[itex]\sum\limits_{i=0}^\infty 4(\frac{1}{3})^i[/itex]

Which would give 6 minutes. But now I see it's more simple than that.

guss said:
Thanks guys! Makes a lot of sense now. I was wayyy over thinking this problem. A way I thought of to solve b soon after I made this post was to do this infinite sum:

[itex]\sum\limits_{i=0}^\infty 4(\frac{1}{3})^i[/itex]

Which would give 6 minutes. But now I see it's more simple than that.

Ahh I'm not surprised you had this approach infused in your head. Since the start you were worried about the continuous loading as you watched:

guss said:
while you are playing the first 4 minutes of footage, more footage will continue to load. And while you are playing that footage, even more footage will load. And so on.

Related to Loading a video on the internet

What is the process of loading a video on the internet?

Loading a video on the internet involves several steps. First, the video file is uploaded to a hosting platform or server. Then, the video is encoded into a format that can be easily streamed over the internet. Finally, the video is made available to viewers through a link or embedded on a website.

What are the different formats that can be used to load a video on the internet?

There are several formats that can be used to load a video on the internet, including MP4, AVI, MOV, and WMV. These formats are widely supported by most browsers and devices, making it easier for viewers to access the video.

How long does it take to load a video on the internet?

The amount of time it takes to load a video on the internet can vary depending on factors such as the size of the video file, the quality of the internet connection, and the encoding process. Generally, it can take a few seconds to a few minutes for a video to load on the internet.

Can a video be loaded on the internet without any buffering?

In most cases, it is not possible to load a video on the internet without any buffering. Buffering is the process of pre-loading a video so that it can play smoothly without interruptions. However, with a strong and stable internet connection, the buffering time can be minimized.

Is it possible to speed up the process of loading a video on the internet?

Yes, there are several ways to speed up the process of loading a video on the internet. One way is to compress the video file to reduce its size. Another way is to use a content delivery network (CDN) to distribute the video to multiple servers, allowing for faster access to the video for viewers in different locations.