Calculate deflection of rod/axlepipe due to distributed load

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
5 replies · 2K views
Krismein
Messages
12
Reaction score
1
Summary:: Calculate the deformation on a rod/axle/pipe due to a distributed load.

I’m manually trying to calculate the deformation on a rod/axle/pipe due to a distributed load. The rod has an outer diameter of 62mm and an inner diameter of 50, is 170mm long, made from a material with an E-module=200GPa and Poisson's ratio = 0,3. The load is distributed along the whole length of the rod and is 491 N/mm. I have calculated the second moment of inertia I to be 418536mm^4, and I’m having no luck finding a formula for rod deformation/bending.

I have tried using this formula:
1649950710710.png

But i don't think it applies for rods, as my answer is low.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Where did you get that equation from?
The type of support is very important.
 
Lnewqban said:
Where did you get that equation from?
The type of support is very important.
From a Norwegian book for engineering. Posting a pic below.
 
Attachments
  • 1E271993-7745-4A42-B407-C69703810E8A.jpeg
    1E271993-7745-4A42-B407-C69703810E8A.jpeg
    19.5 KB · Views: 201
berkeman said:
Is this question for your work or is it a schoolwork question?
For my bachelor thesis😁