Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Local measurement of the Vacuum Energy?

1. Apr 29, 2015 #1
    Is it possible to measure the vacuum energy locally? I wonder if it might change with gravity? I'm told that we can measure the vacuum energy globally by measuring the acceleration of the universe's expansion. But can we measure it locally? Or are all local measurements independent of the vacuum energy?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2015 #2

wabbit

Gold Member

This amounts to measuring the cosmological constant locally, which we can do for a broad enough definition of "locally" : )

But something that is related to that I think (or perhaps not, but I like it anyway :wink: ) : http://arxiv.org/abs/1409.6974
    The Archimedes project: a feasibility study for weighing the vacuum energy
    Enrico Calloni, S Caprara, Martina De Laurentis, Giampiero Esposito, M Grilli, Ettore Majorana, G P Pepe, S Petrarca, P Puppo, F Ricci, Luigi Rosa, Carlo Rovelli, P Ruggi, N L Saini, Cosimo Stornaiolo, Francesco Tafuri
    (Submitted on 24 Sep 2014)

4. Apr 29, 2015 #3
    Thank you. That seems spot on.

5. Apr 29, 2015 #4

wabbit

Gold Member

Oh good, I wasn't quite sure that was what you has in mind. I've got to re-read that article too, remembered coming across it a while ago and finding it quite mesmerizing, being there right at the edge of possibility for precision detection and measurement of such subtle effects.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook