Locating an older scientific paper without the title?

In summary, a librarian at Johns Hopkins University can provide a pdf of the journal from 2006, and may be able to help find older botanical content.
rwooduk
I've been up all night writing and I want to go to bed, but for the life of me I can't find the paper or even the title of the paper that has been referenced in another paper. All I have is...

M.A. Margulis, A.N. Maltsev. Russ J Phys Chem, 42 (1968), p. 1412

Which should be enough to locate, but I can't find it anywhere, I can't even find the title of the paper.

I tried Medeley and Scopus and tried looking for the journal volume itself to no avail.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
https://catalyst.library.jhu.edu/catalog/bib_432493 Johns Hopkins U has the journal. But per the link, online content starts from the year 2006.
Also note that the journal exists in two languages - original Russian, and English translation.

Contact a librarian at Johns Hopkins, or one near you that has the bound version. That is what librarians do. They can produce a pdf and email it to you. You should try getting older botanical content all in German. I spent weeks corresponding with some very helpful people at the National Library of Medicine (now NIH, e.g., Pubmed) just to get 2 articles.

Likes Timmy Lee and rwooduk
jim mcnamara said:
https://catalyst.library.jhu.edu/catalog/bib_432493 Johns Hopkins U has the journal. But per the link, online content starts from the year 2006.
Also note that the journal exists in two languages - original Russian, and English translation.

Contact a librarian at Johns Hopkins, or one near you that has the bound version. That is what librarians do. They can produce a pdf and email it to you. You should try getting older botanical content all in German. I spent weeks corresponding with some very helpful people at the National Library of Medicine (now NIH, e.g., Pubmed) just to get 2 articles.

Thanks very much for the help! I will send an email now, then get some sleep!

Thanks again!

1. How can I locate an older scientific paper without the title?

There are a few options for locating an older scientific paper without the title. One option is to use a bibliographic database, such as PubMed or Google Scholar, and search for the author's name or keywords from the paper. Another option is to contact the author directly or reach out to colleagues in the field who may have access to the paper.

2. Is there a way to search for a paper by its subject or topic?

Yes, many bibliographic databases allow you to search for papers by subject or topic. You can also use keywords or phrases related to the subject of the paper to narrow down your search results.

3. Are there any online archives or repositories for older scientific papers?

Yes, there are several online archives and repositories for older scientific papers, such as arXiv, JSTOR, and the National Library of Medicine's PMC. These archives may have digital copies of older papers that can be accessed for free or for a small fee.

4. Can I use a citation to locate an older scientific paper?

Yes, if you have a citation for the paper, you can use it to locate the paper through a bibliographic database or by contacting the author. The citation should include the title of the paper, author names, journal or publication title, volume and issue numbers, and page numbers.

5. What if I only have a partial title for the paper?

If you only have a partial title for the paper, you can try using keywords from the title to search in a bibliographic database. You can also try reaching out to colleagues or experts in the field who may be familiar with the paper and can help you locate it.