1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Log-linearizing optimal price in New Keynesian model

1. Apr 22, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am going to do a log-linearization around a zero-inflation flexible price steady state of:

[itex]\frac{P_{t}^{*}}{P_{t}}E_{t}\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\theta^{k}\beta^{k}C_{t+k}^{1-\sigma}\left(\frac{P_{t+k}}{P_{t}}\right)^{\epsilon-1}[/itex]

Zero-inflation flexible price steady state implies that [itex] P_{t} = P^{*}_{t} = P_{t+k} \equiv \bar{P} [/itex].

3. The attempt at a solution

I know the solution is:
    [itex]\frac{\bar{C}^{1-\sigma}}{1-\theta\beta} +\frac{\bar{C}^{1-\sigma}}{1-\theta\beta}(\hat{p}^{*}_{t} - \hat{p}_{t}) + \bar{C}^{1-\sigma}\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\theta^{k}\beta^{k}[(1-\sigma)E_{t}\hat{c}_{t+k} + (\epsilon-1)(E_{t}\hat{p}_{t+k} - \hat{p}_{t})] [/itex]

where [itex] \hat{x}_{t} = x_{t} - \bar{x}, x_{t} = \log(X_{t}), \bar{x} = \log(\bar{X}) [/itex] where [itex] \bar{X} [/itex] is the steady state value of X. And we have used [itex] \sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\theta^{k}\beta^{k} = \frac{1}{1-\theta\beta} [/itex].

I've now tried for several hours to do this approximation, but I just do not get to the solution. Can anyone help me on the way?

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2016 #2
    It is straightforward. Please let me know if you have not figured this out yet, since your post is quite old.
    Abe

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted