Logarithim Problem I been stuck on for a day

• Thread starter lionely
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stuck
In summary: I don't think I should try and change the bases because of the way the book is set up changing bases is not until the next chapter. So I want to try and get it out without changing bases. Can someone give me a hint?In summary, the student is trying to combine logs to solve a problem, but gets stuck because he can't remove the logs. He finds a simplified equation that solves for a, and gets the result 6/25.
lionely

Homework Statement

I have been trying to solve this problem all day, I have used up 3 pages and to no avail.
I don't think i should try and change the bases because of the way the book is set up changing bases is not until the next chapter. So I want to try and get it out without changing bases. Can someone give me a hint?
2433yp2.jpg

The question is number 8

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My work is 3 pages of scratch work so it is hard to type out but all I have done is try to combine the logs shown into 2 separate logs for the base a and the base 10. I get stuck there since I can't remove the logs.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the left hand side is [itex]\log_{a}(A) - \log_{10}(B)[/itex], what values do you have for [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex]?

I got it down to A being (6/25) and B being 24

lionely said:

You have simplified too far; consider [tex]\log_a (6/25) - \log_{10}(24) = \log_a(24/100) - \log_{10}(24) = \log_a(24) - 2\log_a(10) - \log_{10}(24).[/tex]

I'm still lost because the bases are different.

lionely said:
You have $$\log_{a}(6/25)=\log_{10}24-2$$
Lets consider the -2 in the equation. What is ##\log_{10}0.01## equal to?

Chet

-2 is equal to log(0.01) [ I'm using Log for the base a , because I don't know Latex]

so Log(24) - 2Log(10) = log(0.01) + log 24

lionely said:
-2 is equal to log(0.01) [ I'm using Log for the base a , because I don't know Latex]

so Log(24) - 2Log(10) = log(0.01) + log 24
Now apply the product rule to log(0.01) + log (24). What do you get?

so Log(24) - 2Log(10) = log(0.24)

lionely said:
so Log(24) - 2Log(10) = log(0.24)
Now express 0.24 as a fraction reduced to lowest terms.

Chet

Log(24)- 2Log(10) = log(6/25)

lionely said:
Log(24)- 2Log(10) = log(6/25)
So, now you have $$\log_{a}(6/25)=\log_{10}(6/25)$$
So, what is a equal to?

Chet

Oh I see it was just something simple as that . I was thinking I would have to remove the log in the end never thought that I would just have to compare the bases...
So it was really easy I was overthinking it.
Thank you so much .

a is 10.

lionely said:
I'm still lost because the bases are different.

Convert everything to ##\log_{10}##. There are standard formulas for converting logarithms between different bases.

Ray Vickson said:
Convert everything to ##\log_{10}##. There are standard formulas for converting logarithms between different bases.
OP said he was avoiding using that.

SammyS said:
OP said he was avoiding using that.

Right: I missed that.

Problem (8) is equivalent to solving ##\ \log_a(A)=\log_{10}(A) \ ## for a.

Suppose it had been equivalent to solve ##\ \log_a(A)=\log_{10}(A) \ ## for a, where A ≠ B . How would you do that without the change of base formula?

1. What is a logarithm and how does it work?

A logarithm is the inverse operation of exponentiation. It is used to solve equations where the variable is an exponent. For example, in the equation 2^x = 8, the logarithm would be used to find the value of x.

2. How do I solve a logarithm problem?

To solve a logarithm problem, you can use the properties of logarithms, such as the product, quotient, and power rules. You can also use the change of base formula if necessary. It is important to remember to check your answer by plugging it back into the original equation.

3. What are the common mistakes made when solving logarithm problems?

Some common mistakes include forgetting to use the rules of logarithms correctly, not checking the answer, and mistaking the base of the logarithm. It is also important to make sure all steps are clearly shown in your work to avoid errors.

4. How can I improve my understanding of logarithms?

You can improve your understanding of logarithms by practicing solving various types of problems and checking your work. You can also watch online tutorials or consult with a tutor for additional help and clarification.

5. How do I know if I am on the right track when solving a logarithm problem?

If you are using the correct properties and following the steps carefully, you should be on the right track. It is also a good idea to check your answer by plugging it back into the original equation. If you are still unsure, you can ask a teacher or tutor for assistance.