1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Logarithms/intro to logarithms (how did they the get solution?)

1. Aug 1, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

o59lcj.jpg

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

24lua8i.jpg

I have no idea how they came up with 7/2 as a solution...can anyone tell me how? Im not sure how logarithms and square roots work....how did they get the 1/2 exponent over the second 2? What is the train of thought required to solve a question like this??.... for example

you do this...then you do that...and using that you get 7/2...can someone explain to me? in detail how they got 7/2?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Re: Logarithms/intro to logarithms

Your links don't work.

4. Aug 1, 2012 #3
    Re: Logarithms/intro to logarithms

Try again...i re did them...and they seem to work now.

5. Aug 1, 2012 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Looks like magic!

Do you know the "properties of exponents"? [itex]a^xa^y= a^{x+y}[/itex] and [itex](a^x)^y= a^{xy}[/itex]

The logarithm is the opposite of the exponential: [itex]log_a(a^x)= x[/itex] and [itex]a^{log_a(x)}= x[/itex] (the technical term is "inverse") so logarithms have the opposite properties: [itex]log_a(xy)= log_a(x)+ log_a(y)[/itex] and [itex]log_a(x^y)= y log_a(x)[/itex]

So, for example, [itex]log_3(27\sqrt{3})= log_3(3^3(3^{1/2})= log_3(3^{3+ 1/2})= log_3(3^{7/2})= 7/2[/itex]
    That, as well as, [itex]log_2(8\sqrt{2})= log_2(2^3(2^{1/2})= log_2(2^{3+ 1/2})= log_2(2^{7/2})= 7/2[/itex]
    are both applications of [itex]log_a(a^x)= x[/itex]. The "logarithm" and "exponential" are inverse functions so they "cancel".

6. Aug 1, 2012 #5
    A notation that is used for square roots is to raise the number to the one-half power.

So the square root of two is equivalent to ##2^{\frac{1}{2}}##.
    On a similar note, the cube root of two is equivalent to ##2^{\frac{1}{3}}##. (this isn't relevant for this problem, but I feel like it helps you understand the rule a little better.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook