Geometric series involving logarithms

In summary, the given problem involves a geometric series with a first term and common ratio of a, where a is greater than 1. The sum of the first 12 terms is 28 times the sum of the first 6 terms. By applying the formula for a geometric sum, it can be determined that a equals the square root of 3. Using this value, the second part of the problem can be solved by plugging it into the logarithmic expression, resulting in a final answer of 30 minus the logarithm of 2.
sooyong94

Homework Statement

A geometric series has first term and common ratio both equal to ##a##, where ##a>1##
Given that the sum of the first 12 terms is 28 times the sum of the first 6 terms, find the exact value of a.

Hence, evaluate
[itex]log_{3}(\frac{3}{2} a^{2}+ a^{4}+...+ a^{58})[/itex]

Giving your answer in the form of ##A-log_{3} B##, where ##A## and ##B## are positive integers to be determined.

Homework Equations

Geometric series, logarithms

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first part, I have to write them as
##S_{12} =28 S_{6}##. Then I have to apply the formula for geometric sum...
Then I arrived at ##a^{13} -28a^{7} +27a=0##
Factoring give me ##a(a^{12}-28a^{6}+27)=0##

How should I solve for a in this case?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you replace a^6 by b then you'll notice you have a quadratic b^2 - 28b + 27 = 0 and you should be able to solve for b and by extension for a.

Ok, now I have a=sqrt(3)... But how about the second part? :/

sooyong94 said:
Ok, now I have a=sqrt(3)... But how about the second part? :/

You have the value of a, just plug it in the second part. It's a geometric progress inside the log. :)

But it doesn't look like one if I plugged in...
I got 9/2 + 9 + 27+...

The sum is that of a geometric progression + something.
(1/2 a2+a2+a4+...+a58))

ehild

Likes 1 person
I get ##30-\log_3 {2}##. Is this correct?

sooyong94 said:
I get ##30-\log_3 {2}##. Is this correct?

Yes.

ehild

1. What is a geometric series involving logarithms?

A geometric series involving logarithms is a series in which each term is a logarithmic function of the previous term. This means that the ratio between any two consecutive terms is constant.

2. How do you find the sum of a geometric series involving logarithms?

The sum of a geometric series involving logarithms can be found using the formula S = a / (1 - r), where S is the sum, a is the first term, and r is the common ratio. If the absolute value of r is less than 1, the series converges to a finite sum. Otherwise, the series diverges.

3. What is the common ratio in a geometric series involving logarithms?

The common ratio in a geometric series involving logarithms is the constant ratio between any two consecutive terms. It can be found by dividing any term by the previous term.

4. How do you identify a geometric series involving logarithms?

A geometric series involving logarithms can be identified by looking for a constant ratio between any two consecutive terms. Additionally, the terms should be in the form of logarithmic functions, such as log(n) or ln(n).

5. What are some real-world applications of geometric series involving logarithms?

Geometric series involving logarithms can be used to model exponential growth or decay in various fields, such as finance, population growth, and radioactive decay. They can also be used in calculus to approximate integrals and in computer science for efficient algorithms.