Logic: difference between very similar statements

In summary, logic is the system of reasoning used to determine the truth or validity of statements, while very similar statements may have different logical structures or implications. To differentiate between two similar statements using logic, one can break them down into smaller parts and analyze their logical relationships. Common mistakes in this process include assuming that similar wording equals the same meaning. Logic can be used in any field of study to analyze and evaluate statements, including mathematics, philosophy, and science. As a scientist, understanding the difference between similar statements using logic can lead to more precise and accurate conclusions and help identify flaws in arguments.
Aziza
What is the difference between the following two questions:

(a) For every positive real number x, there is a positive real number y less
than x with the property that for all positive real numbers z, yz ≥ z.

(b) For every positive real number x, there is a positive real number y with
the property that if y < z, then for all positive real numbers z, yz ≥ z.(b) I understand as

[itex](\forall x\inℝ\stackrel{+}{})(\exists y\inℝ\stackrel{+}{})[(y<x)\Rightarrow(\forall z\inℝ\stackrel{+}{})(yz≥z)][/itex]

I am unsure of how to understand (a) but this is my interpretation:

[itex](\forall x\inℝ\stackrel{+}{})(\exists y\inℝ\stackrel{+}{})[y<x\wedge(\forall z\inℝ\stackrel{+}{})(yz≥z)][/itex]

Other than the fact that (b) has an implication and (a) does not, I do not see any difference between (a) and (b) and they both seem false to me because if you choose x=1 and 0<y<1 and z=1, then it is not the case that yz>=z. However, according to the back of my book, it says that x=1 is a counterexample to (a), not (b). It also says that (b) is actually a true statement...please help explain?

edit: I think I see why (b) is true..is it because for all x, if you choose y>x, then y<x is false, and so false=>false and false=>true are both true ?
So then x=1 would just be a counterexample to (a). But am I expressing (a) correctly?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know the details of your books notation, but I think you expressed the statements correctly and gave a correct analysis of why (b) is true in the case of x = 1.

Aziza said:
What is the difference between the following two questions:

(a) For every positive real number x, there is a positive real number y less
than x with the property that for all positive real numbers z, yz ≥ z.

(b) For every positive real number x, there is a positive real number y with
the property that if y < z, then for all positive real numbers z, yz ≥ z.

(b) I understand as
[itex](\forall x\inℝ\stackrel{+}{})(\exists y\inℝ\stackrel{+}{})[(y<x)\Rightarrow(\forall z\inℝ\stackrel{+}{})(yz≥z)][/itex]
Doesn't look like that to me. The y < z has become y < x. If y < z is the correct version then x doesn't seem to have any role. If it should be y < x then the wording is strange, and the obvious way to straighten it makes it the same as (a).

In terms of the analysis, a is wrong.

For every positive real number x? Take x=1/2.
yz ≥ z for positive real z is equivalent to y ≥ 1, and there is not positive real number y < 1/2 which satisfies y ≥ 1.

b (with the fix "y<x")... well, I would not use such a statement, as it is a bit ill to analyze, but your analysis looks correct.

mfb said:
In terms of the analysis, a is wrong.

I hope you mean "a is false", which is in agreement with the original post.

Right. I hope the counterexample to (a) was clear enough to see that.

1. What is the difference between logic and very similar statements?

Logic is the system of reasoning and principles used to determine the truth or validity of statements. Very similar statements may have different logical structures or implications, which can lead to different conclusions.

2. How can I differentiate between two very similar statements using logic?

One way to differentiate between two very similar statements is to break them down into smaller parts and analyze the logical relationships between those parts. This can reveal any subtle differences in meaning or implications.

3. Are there any common mistakes people make when trying to identify the difference between similar statements using logic?

One common mistake is assuming that two statements with similar wording must have the same meaning. It's important to carefully examine the logical structure and implications of each statement to accurately determine the difference.

4. Can logic be used to determine the difference between statements in any field of study?

Yes, logic is a fundamental tool used in all areas of study to analyze and evaluate the validity of statements and arguments. It can be applied to various subjects, including mathematics, philosophy, and science.

5. How can understanding the difference between similar statements using logic benefit me as a scientist?

As a scientist, understanding the difference between similar statements using logic can help you make more precise and accurate conclusions based on evidence and reasoning. It can also aid in identifying flaws in arguments and constructing sound hypotheses and theories.