Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Logical distinction between sets and algebraic structures

1. Jan 1, 2010 #1
    Let's say we have a set S, and a function f : S -> S. Now let S be endowed with a binary operation, forming a group G. Is it correct to write f : G - > G?

Up to now I have been operating on the assumption that yes, although G is not technically a set, there is little harm in being sloppy and use G to designate its underlying set, S.

However someone has recently told me that this is not correct. f : G - > G is different from f : S - > S. I was referred to category theory, of which I admittedly know nothing.

Is this true?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 1, 2010 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There are a variety of syntactic conventions... but I expect you were told something more conceptual: a map of groups really ought to be a homomorphism. Only certain set functions S -> S correspond to group homomorphisms G -> G.

4. Jan 2, 2010 #3

mathman

Science Advisor

A set is is the generic term for a collection of things. Group members, vectors, probability events, etc. are all elements of sets.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook