Logical distinction between sets and algebraic structures

In summary, we were discussing using a function f : G -> G when dealing with a set S endowed with a binary operation and forming a group G. It was previously believed that this was acceptable, as G could be used to represent the underlying set S. However, we were informed that this is not correct and that the function should be written as f : S -> S to accurately reflect a homomorphism in category theory.
Werg22
Let's say we have a set S, and a function f : S -> S. Now let S be endowed with a binary operation, forming a group G. Is it correct to write f : G - > G?

Up to now I have been operating on the assumption that yes, although G is not technically a set, there is little harm in being sloppy and use G to designate its underlying set, S.

However someone has recently told me that this is not correct. f : G - > G is different from f : S - > S. I was referred to category theory, of which I admittedly know nothing.

Is this true?

Physics news on Phys.org
There are a variety of syntactic conventions... but I expect you were told something more conceptual: a map of groups really ought to be a homomorphism. Only certain set functions S -> S correspond to group homomorphisms G -> G.

A set is is the generic term for a collection of things. Group members, vectors, probability events, etc. are all elements of sets.

1. What is the difference between sets and algebraic structures?

Sets are collections of distinct objects, while algebraic structures are sets with defined operations and properties. Algebraic structures can be seen as more complex sets with additional structure and rules.

2. Can a set be considered an algebraic structure?

Yes, a set can be considered an algebraic structure if it has defined operations and satisfies specific properties. For example, a set with addition and multiplication operations that follow the rules of closure, associativity, identity, and inverse can be considered a group, which is a type of algebraic structure.

3. How are elements represented in sets and algebraic structures?

In sets, elements are represented by individual objects, while in algebraic structures, elements are represented by symbols or variables that can take on different values. For example, in a set of integers, the elements are the individual numbers, while in the algebraic structure of a polynomial ring, the elements are represented by variables such as x and y.

4. What are the main operations in algebraic structures?

The main operations in algebraic structures are addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. These operations may have different properties depending on the type of algebraic structure, such as commutativity, associativity, and distributivity.

5. How are algebraic structures used in mathematics?

Algebraic structures are used to study the relationships and properties of mathematical objects, such as numbers, polynomials, and geometric figures. They provide a framework for understanding and solving mathematical problems, and have applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.