Logical proofs: Empirical evidence for constant gravity in the past and future

In summary, the conversation revolves around the difference between faith in religion and faith in science. The poster mentions an argument with a friend about this topic and brings up the concept of gravity as an example. The poster struggles to find a logical argument to counter their friend's belief that both religion and science require faith in something that cannot be empirically proven. The conversation ends with the suggestion to simply tell the friend that they do not understand science and to not engage in further argument.
Xerus
Hello everyone. I'm a first time poster, but a long time lurker. I don't have a degree in physics, but I have always held the discipline and all its branches, near to my heart.

A little background on the question. I got into an argument with a friend of mine about faith in religion and faith in science. He argues the following:

They are not vastly different. Each is the belief in something that cannot be empirically proven. Watching a hammer fall a billion times tells you nothing except that a hammer fell a billion times. If you want to make claims about what will happen the next time you drop a hammer you must put faith in a premise which cannot be empirically proven.

I brought up gravity and it being a constant across space and time in order for our universe to be in the condition it is today.

Here is a logical proof for knowing that gravity will be -9.8 m/s^2 tomorrow.

1. In the past gravity has always been -9.8 m/s^2
2. The future will resemble the past

Therefore

3. In the future gravity will be -9.8 m/s^2

Premise 2 cannot be proven empirically without the above argument becoming circular

I think I may have backed myself into a corner. I know there is a way around what he is saying, but I just can't come up with it! Logic has never been one of my strong points :cry:

Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
This thread does not meet the minimum requirements to post in this section. Please be sure to read both sets of rules stickied at the top of the Philosphy forum. Rules must be followed when posting.

Tell your friend he doesn't know what science is and leave it at that. Arguing with someone that has such a basic misunderstanding of science is a waste of time.

1. How do logical proofs provide empirical evidence for constant gravity?

Logical proofs use deductive reasoning to demonstrate that constant gravity in the past and future is a logical necessity. By examining the laws of physics and the principles of causality, it can be logically deduced that gravity has been and will continue to be constant.

2. What is the difference between empirical evidence and logical proof?

Empirical evidence refers to evidence that is gathered through observation and experimentation, while logical proof uses reasoning and logic to show that something must be true. In the case of constant gravity, empirical evidence supports the logical proof that gravity has remained constant over time.

3. Can you give an example of a logical proof for constant gravity?

One example of a logical proof for constant gravity is the law of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed. Since gravity is a form of energy, this law supports the idea that it has remained constant throughout time.

4. Are there any counterarguments to the logical proofs for constant gravity?

Some may argue that there is not enough empirical evidence to support the logical proofs for constant gravity. Others may suggest that there could be unknown forces or variables that could affect the constancy of gravity. However, the overwhelming consensus among scientists is that the evidence and reasoning for constant gravity is strong.

5. How does the concept of constant gravity impact our understanding of the universe?

The concept of constant gravity is crucial to our understanding of the universe. It allows us to make accurate predictions and calculations about the behavior of objects in space, and it helps us to explain many phenomena, such as the orbits of planets and the formation of galaxies. Without a constant force like gravity, the universe would be chaotic and unpredictable.