Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Looking for a Mechanical/Pump Engineer

1. Jan 26, 2009 #1
    Hello,

I reside in Connecticut and have designed a device (on paper only) that would solve a problem I (and many others) deal with.

I am not an engineer, nor am I going to school to be one. I just used my brain a little, and came up with a possible solution.

A major component of the device is a fluid pump.

So... here I am with a design on paper, and I want to sit down with an engineer and let him look it it.... run the numbers.... and simply tell me if it will work or not.

The past 2 days I have searched for Mechanical/Pump Engineers in Connecticut, and I'm still looking for someone... which is why I'm here.

The ideal person I am looking for would....
    - be able to tell me if my idea is feasible... without physically building anything.
    - has some experience (or at least, a desire) to work with an inventor.
    - is someone I could actually meet (so, someone in the CT area)
    - is smart and driven, of course
    - would be willing to agree to non-disclosure and all that good stuff.

If there is no one here that is interested.... where do I find someone like this?

Thanks for any guidance!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2009 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

You should be able to google or look in a phone book for mechanical or HVAC engineers.

4. Jan 26, 2009 #3
    I guess, what I am really looking for is a reference.

I have exhausted Google and the Phone Book. I have contacted people in the UConn Mechanical Engineering department (still waiting to hear back). I have posted on Craigslist, talked to mentors via Score.org, looked on freelance websites like ELance.... so on and so forth.

What I know is that I am incapable of knowing who is a really good mechanical engineer, and who is a "dime a dozen".

5. Jan 27, 2009 #4

Danger

Gold Member

Ask the candidates to provide references. Their employers, former employers, former professors, etc. should be willing to vouch for a good engineer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?