Mechanism Ideas for: Rotary Action-input Pump?

In summary, a rotary action-input pump is a type of pump that uses a rotating motion to transfer fluids. This pump works by creating pressure through the rotation of a rotor, which then draws in and dispenses fluid through the pump's inlet and outlet ports. Some potential ideas for improving rotary action-input pumps include using magnetic drives to eliminate the need for seals and bearings, incorporating variable frequency drives for better control and efficiency, and utilizing corrosion-resistant materials for increased durability and reliability.
Al-Layth
TL;DR Summary
Problem:
Converting Rotary motion -> Suction force

For the objective of pulling up liquid through a pipe
I'm trying to come up with a design for a handheld pump that will be used to suck diesel from a car's fuel tank. There's definitely going to be a pipe dipping into the fuel tank, and there's definitely going to be a human manually operating the pump.

I'm trying to think of a mechanism that would transform rotary action input, (like a rotatable lever) into suction force that would pull the diesel in the fuel tank into the pipe. But I can't think of anything lol. The main problem is I don't understand what kind of motion is needed to provide a suction force through the pipe so right now I am just thinking through mechanism elements like shafts, cams and gears with no end goal in sight

Any ideas? TYSM

Engineering news on Phys.org
No need to reinvent the wheel. There are many, many, many hand pumps in existence. Take a look at a few designs.

Likes russ_watters and Al-Layth
Al-Layth said:
I'm trying to think of a mechanism that would transform rotary action input
Why?

Likes Al-Layth
The application you described is called a diesel lift pump. There are may designs, some mechanical, some electrical. You can almost visualize how it converts rotary motion into reciprocal motion in the picture below. It has a lever attached to a wire used to manually operate the pump. That is used to purge air from the pipes before cranking the engine.

1663416176764.png

Likes Al-Layth
Al-Layth said:
... I'm trying to think of a mechanism that would transform rotary action input, (like a rotatable lever) into suction force that would pull the diesel in the fuel tank into the pipe. But I can't think of anything lol. The main problem is I don't understand what kind of motion is needed to provide a suction force through the pipe ...
Welcome!
First, the air contained in the pipe must be sucked by the pump, then the liquid will be pushed up by the atmospheric pressure.
I recommend you researching positive displacement rotary pumps.

Please, see:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pump#Positive-displacement_pumps

Likes Al-Layth
Priming the pump will be the difficult part, because gear and vane pumps may bleed too much air through the sliding clearances, or shaft seals. The easiest rotary hand pump to make yourself would probably be a peristaltic pump using a single long silicone or rubber tube that starts in the tank, pumps, and delivers the fuel to its destination.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peristaltic_pump

Likes Lnewqban
Al-Layth said:
I'm trying to come up with a design for a handheld pump that will be used to suck diesel from a car's fuel tank.
In the US, it's common to see pickup trucks with fuel tanks in the box. Those tanks have hand pumps mounted that look like some of the pumps linked in Post #7. Those pumps cost less than it would cost to design and build your own pump. And the manufacturers of those pumps have solved the problems of priming and sealing that make designing your own pump a far more challenging project than you would expect.

I know that diesel fuel in, say London, is about $8.00 US per gallon vs "only" $5.00 US in the US, but I really hope that you are not planning to suck expensive fuel from other people's fuel tanks to put in your fuel tank. :smile:

Likes berkeman
Two thread starts merged into one
I am looking for the designs of various models of modern hand water pumps, specifically the parts used and the dimensions of those parts. Manufacturing and assembly processes are welcome too. Does anyone know of such an online resource. I tried googling but did not find anything so I beseech thee.

Al-Layth said:
Summary: Is there an online archive of modern hand water pump models and their parts

I tried googling but did not find anything
Did you already read through the Wikipedia article and its References/Links?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_pump

Likes Al-Layth

1. What is a rotary action-input pump?

A rotary action-input pump is a type of pump that uses a rotary motion to transfer fluid from one place to another. This is achieved through the use of a rotating element, such as a gear or impeller, that creates a vacuum and draws the fluid into the pump. The fluid is then pushed out through an outlet by the same rotating motion.

2. How does a rotary action-input pump work?

A rotary action-input pump works by using a rotary motion to transfer fluid. As the rotating element turns, it creates a vacuum that draws the fluid into the pump. The fluid is then pushed out through an outlet by the same rotating motion. This process is repeated continuously, allowing the pump to transfer large volumes of fluid efficiently.

3. What are the advantages of using a rotary action-input pump?

One of the main advantages of using a rotary action-input pump is its ability to transfer large volumes of fluid quickly and efficiently. It also has a compact design, making it ideal for use in tight spaces. Additionally, rotary action-input pumps are self-priming, meaning they can operate without the need for external priming. They are also able to handle a wide range of fluid viscosities and can be used for both high and low-pressure applications.

4. What are some common applications of rotary action-input pumps?

Rotary action-input pumps are commonly used in a variety of industries, including agriculture, manufacturing, and oil and gas. They are often used for pumping various types of liquids, such as water, oil, and chemicals. Some specific applications include irrigation, fuel transfer, and chemical processing.

5. How can I choose the right rotary action-input pump for my needs?

When choosing a rotary action-input pump, there are several factors to consider, including the type of fluid being pumped, the required flow rate and pressure, and the operating environment. It is important to select a pump that is suitable for the specific application and can handle the required volume and pressure. Consulting with a pump expert or doing thorough research can help in selecting the right pump for your needs.