Looking for a particular intro book on common molecules

In summary, the conversation was about a book that was lost and wanted to be found. The book was an introduction to common molecules, starting with the most useful elements and going into more complex molecules. Each molecule had a page with a description and molecular structure. The person remembered the book's description of TNT and its physical structure. They found the book on Amazon and were grateful for the help.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
I've lost track of this book. It must be 15 years old by now. But I really want to find it. Too bad I don't even remember what it's called - except that I'm sure it had the name molecules in it.

This book was an intro to many of the common molecules we encounter in our lives. It started off with a brief intro of the 10 or so most useful elements: H, He, C, N, O, Mg, Cl, K and then went through the simple molecules such as methane, water, heptane, octane, into the more complex ones such as trinitrotoluene and putricene.

Each molecule had a page devoted to it, with the molecular structure laid out
(each atomic element a specific colour) and a description of how the molecule does what it does.

I remember particularly TNT, and how it described the physical structure of the unstable groupings on the molecule, and how a simple jostling could cause the groups to rearrange themselves. Except that the new arrangment didn't need to stick together and the various pieces, rather than bering a solid, were gases, and liked to expand very rapidly and enthusiastically.

If anyone can so much as remember the name of this book, I would be hugely appreciative

Chemistry news on Phys.org
That's got to be the one! I only know the older one, so I don't recognize the cover, but that's got to be it.

Thank you - you are incredible!

1. What are common molecules?

Common molecules refer to the substances that make up the world around us. This includes elements such as oxygen, carbon, and hydrogen, as well as compounds like water, carbon dioxide, and glucose.

2. Why should I read an intro book on common molecules?

Reading an intro book on common molecules can help you understand the basic building blocks of matter and how they interact with each other. It can also provide insight into various scientific fields, such as chemistry, biology, and physics.

3. Who would benefit from reading an intro book on common molecules?

Anyone who is interested in learning more about the world around them and the fundamental components that make it up would benefit from reading an intro book on common molecules. This can include students, scientists, and curious individuals.

4. What topics are typically covered in an intro book on common molecules?

An intro book on common molecules may cover topics such as the periodic table, atomic structure, chemical bonding, and the properties and uses of common molecules. It may also delve into more complex concepts like molecular structures and reactions.

5. Can you recommend a specific intro book on common molecules?

There are many great intro books on common molecules available, so it ultimately depends on your personal preferences and level of understanding. Some popular options include "Molecules: The Elements and the Architecture of Everything" by Theodore Gray and "The Disappearing Spoon: And Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements" by Sam Kean.