Looking for an explanation of a simple Lipshitz condition

In summary, Ray Vickson illustrated how to solve a "separable" differential equation by guessing and reviewing your knowledge of derivatives.
dynamicskillingme

Homework Statement

gif.gif

Has solution
gif.gif

It then goes on to state the solution blows up at
gif.gif
, which I understand.

My issue is when I do the solution I get
gif.gif

(Working)
gif.gif

Physics news on Phys.org
dynamicskillingme said:
[itex] \dot{y} = y^2 [/itex]
[itex] y = yt + c [/itex] ; for [itex] t = 0 [/itex]

You seem to be treating [itex] y [/itex] as if it were a constant instead of a function of [itex] t [/itex].
We can't assume [itex] \int y dt = (y)(t) = yt [/itex] because, in this problem the antiderivative needed is [itex] \int y(t) dt [/itex] where [itex] y(t) [/itex] is an unknown function.

For example, if [itex] y(t) = e^t [/itex] then [itex] \int y(t) dt = e^t + c \ne (y(t))(t) [/itex].

If you could humour me as an engineer having to take a maths course and is struggling to remember concepts taught along time ago, How could I prove their answer, or what should I read up on to be able to show this proof?

dynamicskillingme said:

Homework Statement

gif.gif

Has solution
gif.gif

It then goes on to state the solution blows up at
gif.gif
, which I understand.

My issue is when I do the solution I get
gif.gif

(Working)
gif.gif

Wrong: ##y## is a function of ##t## because, after all, you have ##\dot{y} = dy/dt## in your equation to start with! So, from ##dy/dt = y^2## you have
[tex] \frac{dy}{y^2} = dt \: \Longrightarrow -y^{-1} = t + c, [/tex]
or
[tex] \frac{1}{y} = -c-t \: \Longrightarrow y = \frac{-1}{t+c} [/tex]
Set ##c = -1/y_0## and see what you get.

Anyway, if all you want to do is to see why ##y = y(t) = y_0/(1-y_0 t)## is a solution, just plug it into your differential equation ##dy/dt = y^2## and see if it works.

Likes dynamicskillingme
dynamicskillingme said:
How could I prove their answer, or what should I read up on to be able to show this proof?

Does the problem simply want to you show that ## y(t) = \frac{y0}{1 - y0 t} ## is a solution ? You do that by substituting that function in for ## y ## in the differential equation. (Of course you also have to substitute the derivative of ## \frac{y0}{1 - y0 t}## in for ##\dot{y}## , which means remembering enough calculus to compute that derivative ).When you substitute a solution into a differential equation, the equation should become an identity - i.e. the two sides should be the same function when you simplify things.Solving differential equations when you aren't given a solution, often involves guessing it. If you have to find the solution by yourself, start by reviewing your knowledge of derivatives with emphasis on noting how derivatives of a function y can be expressed in terms of the original function y.

For example:

## \dot{y} = 5y## corresponds to the derivative of ## e^{5t} ## is ## 5 e^{5t} ##.

Using "## D ##" to denote the operation of taking a derivative, ## De^{kt} = k e^{kt} ##. So when you are asked to solve a differential equation ## \dot{y} = k y ## (where ## k ## is a constant) you should be able to guess the answer is an exponential function.Ray Vickson illustrated the technique of solving a "separable" differential equation. You can find videos on the web that explain that technique in detail.

Likes dynamicskillingme

What is a simple Lipshitz condition?

A simple Lipshitz condition is a mathematical concept that is used to ensure the stability of a system. It states that the rate at which a function changes should not exceed a certain bound, known as the Lipschitz constant, for any two points in the system.

Why is the Lipschitz condition important?

The Lipschitz condition is important because it guarantees the stability of a system. If a system satisfies the Lipschitz condition, it means that even small changes in the input will result in small changes in the output, ensuring that the system behaves predictably and reliably.

What are some practical applications of the Lipschitz condition?

The Lipschitz condition is used in various fields such as control theory, differential equations, and optimization. It is particularly useful in the study of dynamical systems, which are systems that change over time. For example, the Lipschitz condition can be used to analyze the stability of a chemical reaction or the predictability of weather patterns.

How can I determine if a system satisfies the Lipschitz condition?

To determine if a system satisfies the Lipschitz condition, you need to calculate the Lipschitz constant. This is done by finding the maximum rate of change of the function over a given interval. If this rate of change is less than or equal to the Lipschitz constant, then the system satisfies the Lipschitz condition.

Is the Lipschitz condition always satisfied?

No, the Lipschitz condition is not always satisfied. It depends on the specific system and the function being analyzed. In some cases, it may be necessary to modify the system or the function to ensure that the Lipschitz condition is satisfied.