What are the boundary conditions for this plate/ring system?

In summary, the conversation discusses a metal disc bonded to a piezoelectric ring and the resulting transverse vibration of the disc. The resonant frequency of the disc is dependent on its material properties and dimensions as well as the vibration of the ring. The question of the boundary condition arises, with the initial thought being a clamped boundary. However, the radial motion of the ring causes confusion as it does not result in a displacement of zero at the edge of the disc. The need for clarification and possible illustration is expressed.
LauraMorrison

Homework Statement

[/B]
I have a metal disc adhesively bonded at its edges to a piezoelectric ring. The piezoelectric ring vibrates radially which leads to the plate vibrating transversely. I am looking to work out the resonant frequency of the metal disc which I believe will depend on the material properties and dimensions of the disc as well as the vibration of the ring.

Homework Equations

[/B]
What would be the boundary condition for the disc bonded to the vibrating ring in this way? Would it be either clamped or simply supported or something else altogether?

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
My initial thoughts were that the boundary condition would be a clamped one. Further thinking on this made me confused since the ring is moving in and out radially and therefore the displacement of the disc around its edge is not technically equal to zero. I'm not sure if this makes a difference to the boundary condition definition and would really appreciate any clarification.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why would radial vibration of the ring lead to transverse motion of the disk? Aren't those two motions perpendicular to each other? Perhaps a figure might help here.

1. What are boundary conditions in a plate/ring system?

Boundary conditions refer to the constraints or limitations that are imposed on a physical system. In the context of a plate/ring system, they define the behavior of the system at its edges or boundaries.

2. Why are boundary conditions important in a plate/ring system?

Boundary conditions are important because they help us understand and predict the behavior of the system. They also allow us to solve mathematical equations and analyze the system's response to external forces.

3. How do boundary conditions affect the vibration modes of a plate/ring system?

Boundary conditions play a crucial role in determining the vibration modes of a plate/ring system. They can influence the natural frequencies, mode shapes, and damping characteristics of the system.

4. Can boundary conditions be changed in a plate/ring system?

Yes, boundary conditions can be changed in a plate/ring system. However, any changes to the boundary conditions can significantly alter the behavior and response of the system, so it is important to carefully consider and analyze the effects of these changes.

5. How do you determine the appropriate boundary conditions for a plate/ring system?

The appropriate boundary conditions for a plate/ring system depend on the specific characteristics and behavior of the system. They can be determined through experimental testing, numerical simulations, or analytical calculations based on the system's geometry, material properties, and external forces.