Looking for an expression for radicals

In summary, the conversation was about finding a general expression for radicals, specifically √k=f(k). Various expressions were suggested, including \sqrt[k]{k}= k^{1/k} and √x=2⋅(1+√x)/2−1. The conversation then turned to approximations for square roots using a Taylor series, and the formula for the coefficients in the series were discussed. The conversation ended with a remark about the importance of understanding Taylor series.
mesa
Gold Member
I am trying to find a general expression for radicals, for example,

√k=f(k)

Does anyone know of any?

Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I don't know what you mean by a "general expression". The square root, that you have there, can be written [itex]\sqrt{k}= k^{1/2}[/itex]. A general radical, the "nth root", can be written [tex]\sqrt[n]{k}= k^{1/n}[/tex]. Is that what you mean?

HallsofIvy said:
I don't know what you mean by a "general expression". The square root, that you have there, can be written [itex]\sqrt{k}= k^{1/2}[/itex]. A general radical, the "nth root", can be written [tex]\sqrt[n]{k}= k^{1/n}[/tex]. Is that what you mean?

No problem, let me clear it up
Something along the lines of,

√5 = 2(phi)-1

Except a general form where,

√k = some function of 'phi', or 'k' or both (or perhaps something completely different.)

By phi, I assume you mean [itex]\frac{1+\sqrt{5}}{2}[/itex], so what you've done is just rewriting [itex]\sqrt{5}[/itex] in terms of this. I don't see any general about this. What exactly is it what you want, when you say you want a general expression?

disregardthat said:
By phi, I assume you mean [itex]\frac{1+\sqrt{5}}{2}[/itex], so what you've done is just rewriting [itex]\sqrt{5}[/itex] in terms of this. I don't see any general about this. What exactly is it what you want, when you say you want a general expression?

Okay, there is still some confusion, let me put it this way,

Are there expressions for say, √3=? or √7=? or √11=? etc. etc.
And if so do we have a general form where √x=some expression of 'x'

I was using √5=2phi-1 simply as an example (and the only radical with an equivalent expression I am aware of that is known).

[itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex] is an expression of x. It is also unclear why you would accept [itex]\sqrt{5} = 2 \cdot \frac{1+\sqrt{5}}{2} -1[/itex] as an 'expression' of [itex]\sqrt{5}[/itex]. Why not accept [itex]\sqrt{x} = 2 \cdot \frac{1+\sqrt{x}}{2} -1[/itex] as an 'expression' of x?

disregardthat said:
[itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex] is an expression of x. It is also unclear why you would accept [itex]\sqrt{5} = 2 \cdot \frac{1+\sqrt{5}}{2} -1[/itex] as an 'expression' of [itex]\sqrt{5}[/itex]. Why not accept [itex]\sqrt{x} = 2 \cdot \frac{1+\sqrt{x}}{2} -1[/itex] as an 'expression' of x?

It is correct but [itex]\sqrt{x} = 2 \cdot \frac{1+\sqrt{x}}{2} -1[/itex] is nothing more than √x=√x.

Do you know of a form like √5=2phi-1 for say √3=?

mesa said:
It is correct but [itex]\sqrt{x} = 2 \cdot \frac{1+\sqrt{x}}{2} -1[/itex] is nothing more than √x=√x.

Do you know of a form like √5=2phi-1 for say √3=?

:confused: √5=2phi-1 is also nothing but √5=√5.

I think you need to explain more clearly what you mean by a 'general expression'.

disregardthat said:
:confused: √5=2phi-1 is also nothing but √5=√5.

I think you need to explain more clearly what you mean by a 'general expression'.

Sorry about that, let's try it this way, can you write √3 as an expression with phi?

Last edited:
mesa said:
Sorry about that, let's try it this way, can you write √3 as an expression with phi?

Without using √ you mean? And why would you want that? And what is an expression with phi? Is √3 = √3 + phi - phi an expression with phi? Just explain what you are after in a clear and precise manner, it's no fun guessing.

Likes 1 person
disregardthat said:
Without using √ you mean? And why would you want that? And what is an expression with phi? Is √3=√3 +phi -phi an expression with phi? Just explain what you are after in a clear and precise manner, it's no fun guessing.

√3 + phi - phi is certainly an expression for √3 but not what I was looking for

I apologize for not being more clear, please forgive my inability to put together the proper mathematical vernacular. It's okay though, it appears my question has been answered. Thank you for helping out!

Hi mesa,

You can approximate the square root of a number using this formula:
$$
f(x)=\sqrt{x}\approx1+\frac{1}{2}(x-1)+(-\frac{1}{4})(x-1)^2+\frac{3}{8}(x-1)^3+...=\sum_{n=0}^{...}f_n(x-1)^n
$$
where the coefficients ##f_n## can be computed by
$$
f_n=\frac{1}{n!}\prod_{m=0}^{n-1}(\frac{1}{2}-m)
$$
I haven't checked what values of x this is valid for though

Hertz said:
Hi mesa,

You can approximate the square root of a number using this formula:
$$
f(x)=\sqrt{x}\approx1+\frac{1}{2}(x-1)+(-\frac{1}{4})(x-1)^2+\frac{3}{8}(x-1)^3+...=\sum_{n=0}^{...}f_n(x-1)^n
$$
where the coefficients ##f_n## can be computed by
$$
f_n=\frac{1}{n!}\prod_{m=0}^{n-1}(\frac{1}{2}-m)
$$
I haven't checked what values of x this is valid for though

I stand corrected, that is a very nice approximation! I wrote a continued fraction but it is ugly :P
Any chance you know who put this together?

mesa said:
I stand corrected, that is a very nice approximation! I wrote a continued fraction but it is ugly :P
Yes. A guy named Taylor.

Note that the coefficients are a bit off. It should be something like $$1+\frac{1}{2} (x-1)-\frac{1}{8} (x-1)^2+\frac{1}{16} (x-1)^3+\cdots.$$

mesa said:

It's a Taylor Series expansion of ##f(x)=x^{1/2}## around the point ##x=1##. Originally I did it for ##f(x)=x^m## for arbitrary m. For that one, the expansion is this: $$
f(x)=x^m=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}f_n(x-1)^n$$ where ##f_0=1## and for ##n\neq 0## $$f_n=\frac{1}{n!}\prod_{k=0}^{n-1}(m-k)$$ So
$$f(x)=1+\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n!}\Bigg(\prod_{k=0}^{n-1}(m-k)\Bigg)(x-1)^n$$
Kind of a messy formula lol

Hertz said:
It's a Taylor Series expansion of ##f(x)=x^{1/2}## around the point ##x=1##. Originally I did it for ##f(x)=x^m## for arbitrary m. For that one, the expansion is this: $$
f(x)=x^m=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}f_n(x-1)^n$$ where ##f_0=1## and for ##n\neq 0## $$f_n=\frac{1}{n!}\prod_{k=0}^{n-1}(m-k)$$ So
$$f(x)=1+\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n!}\Bigg(\prod_{k=0}^{n-1}(m-k)\Bigg)(x-1)^n$$
Kind of a messy formula lol

I should really look into Taylor series more... The schools engineering program hardly touches on it :P

Anyway, I don't think it is all that messy, thanks for sharing! (it is always good to know the 'gaps' in order to correct them)

mesa said:
I should really look into Taylor series more... The schools engineering program hardly touches on it :P
If the engineering curriculum includes calculus, it's a safe bet that Taylor's series (and Maclaurin series) will be covered pretty extensively, usually after the course where integration is taught.
mesa said:
Anyway, I don't think it is all that messy, thanks for sharing! (it is always good to know the 'gaps' in order to correct them)

Mark44 said:
If the engineering curriculum includes calculus, it's a safe bet that Taylor's series (and Maclaurin series) will be covered pretty extensively, usually after the course where integration is taught.

We did cover Taylor series but it was very brief (not even on an exam).

What is a radical?

A radical is a mathematical expression that includes a root, such as a square root, cube root, etc. It is denoted by the √ symbol and is used to find the value that, when multiplied by itself a certain number of times, will result in the given number.

Why do we need to look for expressions for radicals?

Looking for expressions for radicals allows us to simplify and solve equations that involve roots. It also helps us to find the exact value of a root without using a calculator.

How do you express radicals in terms of exponents?

To express a radical in terms of exponents, we use the index of the root as the exponent. For example, the square root of a number can be written as that number raised to the power of 1/2.

What is the difference between a radical and a rational exponent?

A radical is a mathematical expression that includes a root, while a rational exponent is a fraction in which the numerator is the power and the denominator is the root. For example, √x can be written as x^(1/2).

How can we simplify expressions with radicals?

To simplify expressions with radicals, we can use the rules of exponents and properties of radicals. This involves factoring the number under the radical, canceling out any perfect squares, and simplifying any remaining radicals.