Looking for books (or papers) on the Cartesian coordinate system

In summary, the Cartesian coordinate system is a mathematical system used to describe the position of a point in two or three-dimensional space. It was developed by French mathematician and philosopher René Descartes in the 17th century and is based on the use of a horizontal x-axis and a vertical y-axis intersecting at a point called the origin. This system allows for precise and standardized measurements and has become a fundamental tool in various fields such as mathematics, physics, and engineering. Numerous books and papers have been written on the Cartesian coordinate system, providing a comprehensive understanding of its principles and applications.
Trysse
I am looking for more books like this one: https://archive.org/details/MethodOfCoordinateslittleMathematicsLibrary
Method of Coordinaes (Little Mathematics Library) by A. S. Smogorzhevsky

I am also interested in papers if you can suggest any. I am interested in texts, that explore the idea of coordinate systems. Suggestions on texts that explore historical developments are also welcome.

Likes vuthanhcrazy
Physics news on Phys.org
I would suggest first that you actually read thoroughly the book you have found. If you have done that you might google search on cartesian coordinate systems, even read the original work by descartes on geometry. when i googled i found an interesting little article you may like on a few special types of different coordinate systems, cartesian, curvilinear, polar, and homogeneous. you may like it:

https://codinghero.ai/8-different-types-of-coordinate-systems-explained-to-kids/

This is more advanced, but as you may know there are many different plane "geometries", some capable of having Cartesian coordinates introduced and some not, depending upon which axioms they satisfy. This question is extensively studied in Hartshorne's Geometry: Euclid and Beyond, basing on the original research of Hilbert in his Foundations of Geometry. The topic is treated, following up on the earlier fundamental material, in chapter 4 of Hartshorne: "Segment arithmetic". Briefly, to have Cartesian coordinates, the geometry needs the parallel postulate.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes vuthanhcrazy, Trysse and WWGD
Method of Coordinates by Gelfand

Likes vuthanhcrazy and Trysse

1. What is the Cartesian coordinate system?

The Cartesian coordinate system is a mathematical system used to locate points in a two-dimensional or three-dimensional space. It was developed by French mathematician and philosopher René Descartes in the 17th century.

2. What are the main components of the Cartesian coordinate system?

The Cartesian coordinate system consists of two perpendicular axes, the x-axis and the y-axis, which intersect at a point called the origin. The axes are labeled with numbers to indicate the position of a point in relation to the origin.

3. How is the Cartesian coordinate system used in science?

The Cartesian coordinate system is used in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is used to graph and analyze data, plot equations and functions, and describe the position and movement of objects in space.

4. Are there any other coordinate systems besides the Cartesian coordinate system?

Yes, there are other coordinate systems, such as polar coordinates, spherical coordinates, and cylindrical coordinates. Each system has its own unique way of representing points in space, and they are used in different scientific and mathematical applications.

5. Where can I find books or papers on the Cartesian coordinate system?

There are many resources available for learning about the Cartesian coordinate system, including textbooks, online articles, and research papers. You can find these resources at your local library, online databases, or through a simple internet search.