Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Looking for equation for change in momentum

1. Oct 9, 2006 #1
    One of the questions on my test review tells me to look for the equation in the book, but i have a different book because my backpack got stolen and I can only get my hands on a old physics book at the moment. can someone help me out and let me know what equation im looking for here? thanks,

A pitched baseball, of mass 0.2 kg, arrives at home plate with a speed of 40 m/s and is batted straight back to the pitcher with a return speed of 60 m/s. What is the magnitude of change in the ball's momentum?

a. 40 kg-m/s b. 8.0 kg-m/s c. 18 kg-m/s d. 20 kg-m/s

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2006 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You shouldn't need a special formula here. Do you understand that momentum is mass x velocity? The change in anything will be final value minus initial value. (Tricky part: Direction--and signs--matter.)

4. Oct 9, 2006 #3
    so simply:

(0.2*40)-(0.2* -60) = 20 kg-m/s

is this correct?

5. Oct 9, 2006 #4

Doc Al

No. Your main mistake is getting the signs wrong. But you also got initial and final reversed. Fill this out:

Final momentum =

Initial momentum =

Change (Final - Initial) =

6. Oct 9, 2006 #5
    maybe im finding the momentum wrong?

Final momentum = -12

Initial momentum = 8

Change (-12 - 8) = -20 since it's magnatude, just 20. I dont see how it could be anything else.

7. Oct 9, 2006 #6

Doc Al

Exactly right! (I misread your answer before :redface:--sorry about that. You didn't make the sign error I thought you did! The only mistake was reversing initial and final, but that didn't really matter.)

8. Oct 9, 2006 #7
    thanks, this forum is so helpful.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook