1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Looking for equation for change in momentum

1. Oct 9, 2006 #1
    One of the questions on my test review tells me to look for the equation in the book, but i have a different book because my backpack got stolen and I can only get my hands on a old physics book at the moment. can someone help me out and let me know what equation im looking for here? thanks,

A pitched baseball, of mass 0.2 kg, arrives at home plate with a speed of 40 m/s and is batted straight back to the pitcher with a return speed of 60 m/s. What is the magnitude of change in the ball's momentum?

a. 40 kg-m/s b. 8.0 kg-m/s c. 18 kg-m/s d. 20 kg-m/s

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2006 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You shouldn't need a special formula here. Do you understand that momentum is mass x velocity? The change in anything will be final value minus initial value. (Tricky part: Direction--and signs--matter.)

4. Oct 9, 2006 #3
    so simply:

(0.2*40)-(0.2* -60) = 20 kg-m/s

is this correct?

5. Oct 9, 2006 #4

Doc Al

No. Your main mistake is getting the signs wrong. But you also got initial and final reversed. Fill this out:

Final momentum =

Initial momentum =

Change (Final - Initial) =

6. Oct 9, 2006 #5
    maybe im finding the momentum wrong?

Final momentum = -12

Initial momentum = 8

Change (-12 - 8) = -20 since it's magnatude, just 20. I dont see how it could be anything else.

7. Oct 9, 2006 #6

Doc Al

Exactly right! (I misread your answer before :redface:--sorry about that. You didn't make the sign error I thought you did! The only mistake was reversing initial and final, but that didn't really matter.)

8. Oct 9, 2006 #7
    thanks, this forum is so helpful.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?