Looking for equation for change in momentum

In summary, the conversation discusses a question on a test review that asks for an equation, but the person only has an old physics book due to their backpack getting stolen. They ask for help in determining the equation and the conversation leads to solving a problem involving momentum. The correct answer is determined to be 20 kg-m/s.
jjg242
One of the questions on my test review tells me to look for the equation in the book, but i have a different book because my backpack got stolen and I can only get my hands on a old physics book at the moment. can someone help me out and let me know what equation I am looking for here? thanks,

A pitched baseball, of mass 0.2 kg, arrives at home plate with a speed of 40 m/s and is batted straight back to the pitcher with a return speed of 60 m/s. What is the magnitude of change in the ball's momentum?

a. 40 kg-m/s b. 8.0 kg-m/s c. 18 kg-m/s d. 20 kg-m/s

Physics news on Phys.org
You shouldn't need a special formula here. Do you understand that momentum is mass x velocity? The change in anything will be final value minus initial value. (Tricky part: Direction--and signs--matter.)

so simply:

(0.2*40)-(0.2* -60) = 20 kg-m/s

is this correct?

No. Your main mistake is getting the signs wrong. But you also got initial and final reversed. Fill this out:

Final momentum =

Initial momentum =

Change (Final - Initial) =

Doc Al said:
No. Your main mistake is getting the signs wrong. But you also got initial and final reversed. Fill this out:

Final momentum =

Initial momentum =

Change (Final - Initial) =

maybe I am finding the momentum wrong?

Final momentum = -12

Initial momentum = 8

Change (-12 - 8) = -20 since it's magnatude, just 20. I don't see how it could be anything else.

Exactly right! (I misread your answer before :redface:--sorry about that. You didn't make the sign error I thought you did! The only mistake was reversing initial and final, but that didn't really matter.)

thanks, this forum is so helpful.

1. What is momentum and why is it important?

Momentum is a measure of the quantity of motion an object has. It is important because it helps us understand how objects move and interact with each other.

2. How is momentum calculated?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. The formula for momentum is p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

3. What is the equation for change in momentum?

The equation for change in momentum is ∆p = m∆v, where ∆p is the change in momentum, m is mass, and ∆v is the change in velocity.

4. How is the equation for change in momentum applied in real-life situations?

The equation for change in momentum is applied in real-life situations to understand the effects of forces on objects. For example, in a car crash, the change in momentum of the car can help determine the force of impact and potential damage.

5. What factors can affect the change in momentum of an object?

The change in momentum of an object can be affected by its mass, velocity, and the amount of force acting on it. Other factors such as air resistance and friction can also play a role in changing an object's momentum.