Looking for examples of unexpected applications of math concepts

In summary, there are many cases where mathematical concepts were developed without any intended application, only to later find unexpected applications in various fields such as physics, computer science, and cryptography. Some notable examples include the use of group theory in manifold theory and general relativity, the application of complex numbers in quantum mechanics and electronic circuits, and the use of error correcting codes in cryptography. There are also cases where mathematical concepts have been developed purely for their own merit and have no practical application in describing the laws of nature, such as with some areas of pure algebra and topology. However, even in these cases, there have been instances where these concepts have found applications in unexpected ways, such as with number theory and its use in encryption algorithms. In summary, the
Tiger Blood
Sometimes I run into this claim

There are of course many other cases where mathematical concepts were first developed with no particular intended application, and then later found application in an unexpected physical domain.

But what are some examples? Is it perhaps the discovery of binary numbers and then their much later application to computers?

Or what about this?
In yet other cases, many mathematical concepts have been developed from their own merit and find essentially no application in describing the laws of nature.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Tiger Blood said:
But what are some examples?
Group Theory.

Likes Tiger Blood
Tiger Blood said:
Sometimes I run into this claim
As you seem to be quoting a particular source you should provide a reference.
Tiger Blood said:
But what are some examples?
For me two stand-out examples are:

Manifold theory which underpins general relativity, the best model we have for the universe.

Prime numbers and their application in public key cryptography which underpins secure internet communications.
Tiger Blood said:
Or what about this?
"In yet other cases, many mathematical concepts have been developed from their own merit and find essentially no application in describing the laws of nature."
I think it would be better to say that "some mathematical concepts have not yet found a non-mathematical application".
Paul Colby said:
Group Theory.
Very important to manifold theory and therefore general relativity (if spacetime is not closed things could get interesting).

Last edited:
Likes berkeman and Tiger Blood
Complex numbers found applications in quantum mechanics, electronic circuits and elsewhere.

Likes Tiger Blood and pbuk
I have two paperbacks which are titled "Applied Pure Algebra". The authors list 36 topics, and I'm really too lazy to type them.

• Skeptical
Likes pbuk and Tiger Blood
fresh_42 said:
I have two paperbacks which are titled "Applied Pure Algebra". The authors list 36 topics, and I'm really too lazy to type them.
I think I had something similar as an undergraduate, however I seem to remember that all of the applications were simply to other sub-fields of algebra. Is there an interesting topic among the 36?

pbuk said:
I think I had something similar as an undergraduate, however I seem to remember that all of the applications were simply to other sub-fields of algebra. Is there an interesting topic among the 36?
I liked the genetic algebras, but more popular are error correcting codes, cryptography (e.g. DFT), crystallography.

I'd say until the 19th century mathematics was developed along real numeric problems, including Riemannian manifolds and most of calculus. Maybe you thought about AdS and de-Sitter spaces as you answered manifolds. Even the complex numbers listed here had been developed to serve a goal. It wasn't originally abstract mathematics which suddenly found an application. The investigations were parallel. The first area I can think of which was primarily mathematics and found its applications later was topology at the beginning of last century.

In the meantime I have the impression that physicists loot mathematics in the vague hope to find the key for GUT and be the first. Nothing seems more safe. E.g. one could answer the OP's question by graded Lie algebras, which were certainly known prior to string theory. But as nobody really cared about them, it's still difficult to decide whether they count as an answer. The most popular and most cited answer is probably number theory. Primes experienced a reincarnation since electronic communication came into life.

Likes pbuk, Janosh89 and berkeman
How about RSA (BTW some good notes, for bedtime reading :wink:)? Even GH Hardy I think called number theory "useless".

Edit: Whoops, I see this has already been mentioned... :doh:

pbuk said:
Very important to manifold theory and therefore general relativity (if spacetime is not closed things could get interesting).
I spent some time last night trying to think of a field of physics which doesn't include significant applications of group theory. Biophysics? I only suggest this cause I don't know much biophysics beyond don't eat too much mac and cheese.

Paul Colby said:
Biophysics?
Free halfgroups.

Likes Paul Colby
fresh_42 said:
I'd say until the 19th century mathematics was developed along real numeric problems, including Riemannian manifolds and most of calculus. Maybe you thought about AdS and de-Sitter spaces as you answered manifolds.
Not really, I probably didn't think about this clearly enough. For sure Riemann's work was grounded in reality, that is clear from his remarkable lecture of 1854 published in 1868: "The answer to these questions [regarding the metric nature of space] can only be got by starting from the conception of phenomena which has hitherto been justified by experience". Lorentz corresponded with Einstein on GR so this can hardly be seen as an "unexpected application", and AdS/de-Sitter spaces come later.

So you are right, manifold theory is as much a tool built to 'do' GR as Newton's and Leibniz's calculus were to 'do' classical mechanics.

We all seem to be agreed on number theory and cryptography though :smile:

I don't really know the history but what about Fourier synthesis and X-ray diffraction?

The Radon Transform and all the various tomographic methods?

1. How is math used in everyday life?

Math is used in everyday life in various ways, such as calculating expenses, telling time, measuring ingredients for cooking, and even making decisions based on statistics and probability. It is also used in fields such as engineering, finance, and technology.

2. What are some examples of unexpected applications of math concepts?

Some unexpected applications of math concepts include using geometry to design buildings and bridges, using statistics to analyze and predict trends in the stock market, and using calculus to understand and model complex systems like the human brain.

3. How does math play a role in the development of new technologies?

Math plays a crucial role in the development of new technologies. For example, algorithms and mathematical models are used in artificial intelligence and machine learning, and mathematical concepts such as geometry and trigonometry are used in computer graphics and animation.

4. What are some real-world examples of how math has solved practical problems?

One real-world example is the use of math in cryptography to create secure communication systems. Another example is the use of mathematical models in weather forecasting, which helps us prepare for natural disasters and plan for agricultural needs.

5. How can understanding math concepts help us make better decisions?

Understanding math concepts can help us make better decisions by providing a framework for analyzing and interpreting data. It also helps us think critically and make logical conclusions based on evidence, rather than relying on intuition or emotions.