Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Looking for flexible seal for oscillating thin opening

  1. Apr 22, 2016 #1
    Hello Everyone,

    I'm looking for a sealing membrane, or comparable solution, to seal a thin opening (~15mm x 2mm) that oscillates elliptically, like in my example picture below, with a low amplitude (+/- 1mm) and frequency in the 100s - 1000s of Hz range.


    Any ideas?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2016 #2


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor

    What is the pressure and fluid?
    Nearly any seal will dampen the oscillations.
    Is that acceptable? Why not redesign so a standard seal can be used ?
  4. Apr 22, 2016 #3
    The fluid is air and the pressure unknown at this point; however, It should not be very large, probably ~2 kPa. It will depend on the resistance of the check valve I'm going to use. I haven't been able to locate a suitable valve so I'm designing my own and it's performance is unknown atm.

    What kind of standard seal would you be talking about? Could you link an example? Maybe I could design to accommodate but it would likely affect performance adversely.
  5. Apr 22, 2016 #4


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor

    In the context of mechanical engineering, whenever the word 'seal' is used it's generally referring to an O ring.
  6. Apr 22, 2016 #5
    I intended the seal itself to adhere the oscillating opening to a static interface.
  7. Apr 23, 2016 #6


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor

    That is not really a pressure. It is less than the clamping force needed to hold things in place.

    Your specification is insufficient. You need to show the geometry of the two parts that must be joined and sealed.

    All that can be suggested now is that you place a thick, large diameter O'ring, bigger than the aperture, to seal against a cover or backing plate. That ring will roll and flex sufficiently to isolate the oscillating movement from the unspecified component.
    What fluid fills the cavity that oscillates in width, is it water or air ? Where do you want all that energy to go ?
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted