Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Looking for good calculus learning website

1. Oct 16, 2007 #1
    Looking for good calculus teaching website

I'm looking for any free resource (which you will most likely post in the form of a website) which you dictate as a great resource to learning calculus.

I am currently in Calc 1, but I'm getting my rear-end handed to me. I have difficulty in understanding my textbook, but not all of the textbook. I'm looking for something that would be a great supplemental aid in learning calculus. Something like "Learning calc for dummies" would get me the basic concepts and understanding, then I apply that in terms of my textbook. Obviously the best guide would be an in-depth, easy to understand resource that could replace the textbook in most, if not all, areas.

Anything you guys can give would be awesome!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2007 #2

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Most websites are not likely to help you much; but there was one with some instructional information from someone named "Lamar", or similar name which had some helpful information. The only suggestion is to try a web search for "Lamar" and "Calculus".

Your best route is to find alternative textbooks. Maybe you could find a ~30 year old book by Salas & Hille, or an old book by Larson & Hostetler.
  4. Oct 17, 2007 #3

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

5. Oct 18, 2007 #4
    Thank you VERY much for that site. It looks quite nice. But to clarify, I am actually looking for any free resource to help learn calc, I just assume that most of the responses I will get will be links to websites, since this is, well, the internet.

Thanks again!
  6. Oct 18, 2007 #5
    You can even take reference from http://online.math.uh.edu/HoustonACT/videocalculus/. It offers video tutorials on Calculus. As they're videos, their size might be large and it can take a while to download. So what you can do is, download videos of parts you're a little confused with or so. Its an excellent set of video tutorials from Department of Mathematics, University of Houston.

7. Oct 18, 2007 #6
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?