Looking for input about internship project

In summary, the conversation involved the speaker contacting a person at a national lab for a potential job opportunity. The person recommended the SULI program, which the speaker applied to and was accepted. However, before the speaker could receive an offer, someone else extended one for a project the speaker is not particularly excited about. The person the speaker initially contacted informed them that SULI allows competing offers and declining one may result in not receiving another offer. The speaker is wondering if they can ask for an extra project or switch mentors if they become bored with their assigned project. The other person suggests focusing on the assigned project and using free time for independent research, rather than asking for additional projects.
PhysicsGente
A little background first; I contacted a person at a national lab to see if he could hire me for a year between undergrad and grad school. He advised me to apply to SULI and that way we could work together for the next few months. So I did and luckily got accepted, but it seems that before he could extend me an offer, someone else did on a project that, although might be interesting, I'm not really excited about. The person I had initially contacted send me an e-mail saying that SULI does allow competing offers from different mentors, and the SULI e-mail says that if I decline I won't be given another offer.

So now I had no choice but to accept the offer I already had. My question is (to those SULI mentors out there perhaps), can I ask the person that I will be working with for an extra project if I get bored with the first one? If so, how would you do that? Or can I ask to switch mentors?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you should work on the project assigned and do independent research into other things in your free time. Its never good to start a job and say hey if I get bored on this project can I have another one too. Instead once you start and have a chance to look around then you can figure out how interject yourself into the new project or at least keep tabs with the people in it so you'll know who to contact in the future.

1. What is the purpose of your internship project?

The purpose of my internship project is to gain hands-on experience in my field of study and apply my knowledge to a real-world project. It will also allow me to learn new skills and techniques that will be valuable for my future career.

2. What is the timeline for your internship project?

The timeline for my internship project will depend on the specific requirements and goals set by my supervisor. However, it is typically completed over the course of a few months, with regular check-ins and progress reports.

3. How will you gather data or information for your internship project?

I will gather data and information for my internship project through various methods, such as conducting experiments, surveys, interviews, or literature reviews. I will also work closely with my supervisor and team members to gather relevant data and insights.

4. What are the expected outcomes or deliverables of your internship project?

The expected outcomes or deliverables of my internship project will vary depending on the project, but may include a report, presentation, or prototype. These deliverables will showcase my findings and contribute to the overall goals of the project.

5. How will your internship project contribute to your academic or career goals?

My internship project will provide me with valuable experience and skills that will be applicable to my academic and career goals. It will also allow me to network and make connections in my field, which can open up future opportunities for me.