Looking for interesting reactions with paper

In summary, the conversation discusses a friend's search for an interesting way to destroy a boxful of flashcards for a video scholarship. The idea of making fireworks out of the flashcards is mentioned, but the individual is looking for a safer and legal alternative. They suggest exploring chemical reactions with paper, such as using nitric acid to produce nitrocellulose, as a potential solution.
Bohrok
A friend asked me for an interesting way to destroy a boxful of flashcards for a video scholarship. Being almost the 4th of July, I mentioned making some kind of fireworks out of them, but I want to give him something a little more... safe and legal. I tried looking on Google for chemical reactions with paper but didn't find anything I was looking for. Better than something like gasoline and a match, perhaps burning them but in a different way, or "dissolving" the flashcards with some chemicals...
Any good suggestions?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I don't know what a flashcard is but paper is basically a collection of cellulsoic/lignocellulosic material. There isn't much you can do with it alone, but perhaps take advantage of its physical properties like using its ability to reform when wet and its porosity by incorporating impurities to give a desired effect.

1. How can I conduct experiments with paper to observe interesting reactions?

There are many different experiments that can be conducted with paper to observe interesting reactions. Some examples include testing the flammability of different types of paper, exploring the effects of various solvents on paper, or observing how paper reacts to being exposed to different temperatures or levels of humidity.

2. What are some common reactions that can occur when interacting with paper?

Some common reactions that can occur when interacting with paper include burning, dissolving, yellowing or discoloration, and warping. These reactions can be influenced by factors such as the type of paper, the environment, and the substances it comes into contact with.

3. How can I control variables when conducting experiments with paper?

To control variables when conducting experiments with paper, it is important to carefully plan and design your experiment. This may involve using a control group, keeping all other variables constant except the one being tested, and recording and analyzing data in a systematic and organized manner.

4. Are there any safety precautions I should take when experimenting with paper?

Yes, there are some safety precautions to keep in mind when experimenting with paper. For example, when conducting experiments involving fire or heat, it is important to have proper ventilation and to take precautions to prevent burns. When working with chemicals, always wear protective gear and handle them according to safety guidelines.

5. How can I use the results of my experiments with paper for practical applications?

The results of experiments with paper can be used for practical applications in a variety of fields. For example, understanding the properties of paper can be useful in the development of new paper products or in conservation efforts for historical documents. Additionally, knowledge gained from paper experiments can also be applied to other materials with similar properties.