1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Looking for software recommendations

1. Jun 2, 2009 #1
    I have a database in Excel of MLB games for the past 10 years. It's around 22,000 games. I am looking for a program that I can use to manipulate this data, filter/sort based on certain criteria, write formulas, plot graphs, calculate regression lines, etc. I want to be able to input a few pieces of data and have it spit out graphs, equations, and regression lines quickly.

I know Excel can do most of this but some of the calculations take a long time. I was hoping there would be a faster, more math oriented program. Would Matlab be good? My friend thought a database oriented system like SQL would work. Are there any other suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2009 #2

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A SQL database could store the information, but they're not geared toward that kind of calculation.

Maybe R?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook