Looking for some suggestions in community college

In summary, if you have a strong interest in studying engineering at a prestigious school such as Berkeley, Georgia Tech, Cal Tech, etc., and you have a 3.8 GPA or higher, consider applying to a community college and transferring after two years. You may be able to get accepted with a 4.0 GPA, but it is not guaranteed. Other than that, focus on taking the necessary courses to be successful in a transfer program, and make sure to have a strong resume.
f24u7
I'm currently a community college freshman, and I'm desperate for some advices that will enable me to transfer to engineering prestigious school such as Berkeley, Georgia Tech, Cal Tech.

Before this i was sadly informed that 4.0 GPA would be my password to those schools, but i realize that this is wrong, so if you stumble a cross this post, i would greatly appreciate if you would share some valuable informations of yours, any information, like award opportunities, research opportunities, or even to suggest other schools besides the list

i love physics and i wish to study in schools that is well equipped for my thirst of knowledge

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
The Caltech math exam (Calculus) for transfers is based off their freshman sequence, which uses the Apostol as their text. Meaning it's going to be harder than the calculus taught at most colleges and universities.

That's the best I can give you, hopefully that can help you in your preparation somehow.

What community college are you at? I attended De Anza College in California and I transferred to Berkeley after two years. I transferred out with a 3.8 GPA, not too high for a community college.

CC isn't like HS, you don't need all those extra curricular activities, though it helps.

That is really really different from what I've heard, most of the student in my school, Mt. San Antonio, don't even have a chance to get into UCs.

Is that a CCC? If so, go to assist.org. Take the classes you need, and you'll do fine.

what major did you transfer to berkeley with? I'm trying to transfer from chabot for chemical engineering.

Physics.

So I'm guaranteed to get accepted to UC Berkeley, even if i have no extra curricular, no community service, no internship, no leadership, just a simple 4.0 GPA?

I'm not going to say yes. But here was my CC resume.

3.79 GPA. Finished all my classes. I wrote down that I was in some kind of engineering club, which I wasn't really. Other than that the only thing I had was a job.

th5418 said:
I'm not going to say yes. But here was my CC resume.

3.79 GPA. Finished all my classes. I wrote down that I was in some kind of engineering club, which I wasn't really. Other than that the only thing I had was a job.

Important basic rule: State the truth on your resume. Also much related, do not lie on your resume.

That is definitely some greats news to hear, but I'm afraid that i'll not be as fortunate as you since the competition has increase quite a bit these years.

What year did you apply?

I did, I did made robotics competition with them, but then afterwards I stopped attending since the project that they were doing was kind of stupid.

I just transferred this year.

I'd say that you don't need a 4.0 to go to GA Tech, but you probably would to get into CalState. You'd probably want to be a GA resident if you don't have at least a 3.5 though for GaTech.

Is there any other tips that will increase my competence?

What are the benefits of attending a community college?

There are several benefits to attending a community college, including lower tuition costs, smaller class sizes, and flexible schedules. Community colleges often have a wide range of programs and courses, making it easier to find one that fits your interests and career goals. They also offer opportunities for hands-on learning and practical skills development.

How do I choose the right community college for me?

When looking for a community college, it's important to consider factors such as location, cost, academic programs, and student support services. Research the colleges in your area and visit their campuses to get a feel for the atmosphere and resources available. You can also talk to current students or alumni to get their perspectives on the college.

Can I transfer credits from a community college to a four-year university?

Yes, many community college courses are transferable to four-year universities. However, it's important to check with the specific university you plan to attend to ensure that the credits will transfer. It's also helpful to work closely with your community college advisor to make sure you are taking the necessary courses for a smooth transfer.

What support services are available at community colleges?

Community colleges often offer a variety of support services to help students succeed academically and personally. This may include tutoring, counseling, career services, and disability accommodations. It's important to research the specific services offered at the community college you are considering to see if they align with your needs.

What are the job prospects for community college graduates?

Community college graduates have a variety of job prospects, as many programs are designed to prepare students for specific careers. Additionally, the hands-on learning and practical skills gained at community colleges can make graduates highly marketable in the workforce. It's important to research the job outlook for your desired field and talk to alumni to get an idea of potential career opportunities.