Some suggestions on learning algebra/trigonometry material

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of self-teaching mathematics, specifically algebra and trigonometry, due to dissatisfaction with the level of math taught in school. The individual has acquired a book on college algebra and is seeking recommendations for other books on algebra and trigonometry. They also question whether it is necessary to have a strong foundation in these subjects before attempting pre-calculus material. The conversation also touches on the idea of studying other subjects that use math, such as physics and computer programming, and whether self-teaching math could be detrimental. It is concluded that trigonometry is vital in mathematics and recommended to study a book specifically on that subject.
Andrakes
Hello guys. Since this is my first post and I can't post in Pre-calculus Learning Material, I shall post it here.Now, to the topic.

I am passionate about learning maths, however, because I live in Australia and go to public school, the level of maths that they teach is miserable (Year 9 Extension program,they're only learning to solve quadratics). I am on the top of my class, but they won't allow me to skip straight to Methods (pre-calculus/calculus). So I've decided to self-teach myself. I wanted to give myself some good grounding in Algebra, so I acquired "College Algebra" by John W. Coburn (at very low price). If any of you have had this book, how would you rate it?

Also, I am planning to work through it on summer holidays. Would you recommend any other books for Algebra? Once I finish the book, i am planning on getting something to teach my-self Trigonometry? I prefer using books to on-line resources.

I know Trig to a point, but i still feel like I could get better grounding in it than I did in my school.

And lastly, is it a good idea to do that? I feel like that if I get a pre-calculus book, I will be able to learn from it, but later it will come and bite me for no being proficient enough in trigonometry and algebra alone.

Again, sorry if this post is in the wrong section. Ask anything that may interest you (I am from Australia, so excuse me for not knowing the equivalents of Algebra 1 or Algebra 2 etc.) Thank you :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
And lastly, is it a good idea to do that?
By "that", do you mean study algebra instead of a book on pre-calculus or trig?

I think you must clarify your goals. If the purpose of your study is to qualify for skipping over some future courses, you should pick books that actually cover the material you are going to skip. Not being from Australia, I can't visualize what courses you might skip and what that material would be.

If you aren't happy with the level of math taught in your courses and you are not going to qualify to skip them, then you should consider whether learning the material in advance is going to make you even more unhappy with the courses - or perhaps overconfident about your knowledge.

If you want to study just for he sake of curiousity, you might be better off studying something unrelated to your future math courses, or something that those courses don't cover thoroughly. There are lots of things (such as physics and computer programming) that use math but aren't covered well in pure math courses.

Thank you for your response, Stephen. I realized that my thread was a bit unclear and with all the Australia stuff in our schools, most people wouldn't know about the education system, VCE etc. I will post a better response once i return from school, maybe explaining a bit better on my intentions.

Stephen Tashi said:
By "that", do you mean study algebra instead of a book on pre-calculus or trig?.

Well, exactly. Would it be a must to be proficient with trigonometric identities and be efficient when dealing with algebra material in general (such as functions, logarithms and linear/non-linear systems), before attempting pre-calculus material or does it cover all required material?I am a bit afraid (as i stated in previous post) that I would miss anything vital from algebra/trig. if I would go straight to learning pre-calc. (even though I am certain that i have an ability to do so.)

While my main intention is to cover most of the same material that they cover Year 11 Methods (Polynomial Differentiation, Matrices and Limits would probably be most difficult concepts there), I feel like i could get so much more, if I would go through algebra book solely, then go through Trigonometry solely, and then start on pre-calculus/calculus, rather then just going with the Methods book, which pretty much features bits and pieces of both.

Stephen Tashi said:
you might be better off studying something unrelated to your future math courses, or something that those courses don't cover thoroughly. There are lots of things (such as physics and computer programming) that use math but aren't covered well in pure math courses.
While i would say that my interest is driven by curiosity (and inability for school to have faster math course), I am interested in studying material that is given to us in later class (Year 11/12). Do you think that trying to teach myself maths could be bad?

Again, sorry if my explanations seem quite unclear, English is not my first language (Russian, came to Australia 4 years ago)

Trig is absolutely vital in mathematics. If you get the choice between studying trig or precalculus, I would choose trig hands down. If you want, you can even skip precalculus since it doesn't usually contain much interesting things.

Get the book "Trigonometry" by Gelfand and work through that: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0817639144/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Being proficient in algebra, trig and geometry is much more important than precalc.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the best way to approach learning algebra and trigonometry?

The best way to approach learning algebra and trigonometry is to start with the basics and build a strong foundation. Make sure you understand the fundamental concepts before moving on to more advanced topics. It is also helpful to practice regularly and seek help from a teacher or tutor if needed.

2. How can I make learning algebra and trigonometry more interesting?

One way to make learning algebra and trigonometry more interesting is to relate it to real-life scenarios. This can help you see the practical applications of these subjects and make them more relevant. You can also try using interactive online resources or solving challenging problems to keep yourself engaged.

3. What are some effective study techniques for learning algebra and trigonometry?

Some effective study techniques for learning algebra and trigonometry include creating study guides and flashcards, practicing with sample problems, and explaining concepts to others. It is also helpful to break up your study sessions into smaller chunks and take breaks to avoid burnout.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when learning algebra and trigonometry?

Some common mistakes to avoid when learning algebra and trigonometry include skipping steps, not showing work, and not checking your answers. It is important to carefully follow the steps and show your work to avoid making careless mistakes. Additionally, always double-check your answers to ensure accuracy.

5. How can I overcome my fear of algebra and trigonometry?

If you have a fear of algebra and trigonometry, it is important to remember that it is a common feeling and you are not alone. Start by breaking down complex problems into smaller, more manageable steps. Seek help and support from a teacher, tutor, or classmates when needed. With practice and perseverance, you can overcome your fear and gain confidence in these subjects.