Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Looking for source of cosmology/astrophysics quote

1. Aug 20, 2012 #1
    For a neuroscience book I am writing, I am looking for the person who first said/wrote the following quote: "We discover things about the universe we can no longer even imagine." THIS MAY NOT BE THE EXACT QUOTE, BUT ONLY HOW I RECALL IT FROM ABOUT TEN YEARS AGO. I think it was from a Russian astrophysicist, and I think it was from the 1920s or 1930s.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2012 #2

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I was just watching a Feynman lecture (at Cornell) from around 1950s. He said something like that regarding not just cosmology but nature in general.
    Something to the effect that "We discover things about nature that we cannot imagine."
    I'm afraid that's not of any use to you---it had a kind of matter-of-fact ring. the tone was not poetical. He then proceeded to explain WHY we weren't prepared to imagine or grasp intuitively the kind of things we were learning about nature. and why this was only to be expected. analogies don't necessarily work over widely different scales.

4. Aug 20, 2012 #3

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What about a British biologist? J.S. Haldane reportedly said "My own suspicion is that the universe is not only queerer than we suppose, but queerer than we can suppose."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._B._S._Haldane

I use this (supposed) quote a lot.

5. Aug 20, 2012 #4
    Marcus, Well, that quote of Feynman's may be what I am recalling. Can you tell me where to find the lecture?

6. Aug 20, 2012 #5

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I can't pinpoint it. The day I encountered it, I started by watching this Feynman talk:

and it could be in that one, in the last half or third of the talk.
    But that same day I also sampled others of the same series of talks which Youtube provides links to in the margin. I may not be able to find it again without an unreasonable effort. I'll give it a try, time permitting.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  7. Aug 21, 2012 #6
    Thank you, Marcus. I shall take it from here. I always enjoy watching Feynman.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook