1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Looking for suggestions for an experiment involving Quantum theory and Biology?

1. Oct 26, 2012 #1
    Hey guys, (this is not homework). I am working on a "out of class" project right now, and I want to get some ideas on ways you can run an experiment in which you can apply quantum theory to biology?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2012 #2

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

“Many biological processes involve the conversion of energy into forms that are usable for chemical transformations and are quantum mechanical in nature. Such processes involve chemical reactions, light absorption, formation of excited electronic states, transfer of excitation energy, and the transfer of electrons and protons (hydrogen ions) in chemical processes such as photosynthesis and cellular respiration.[1] Quantum biology uses computation to model biological interactions in light of quantum mechanical effects.[2]
    Some examples of the biological phenomena that have been studied in terms of quantum processes are the absorbance of frequency-specific radiation (i.e., photosynthesis[3] and vision[4]); the conversion of chemical energy into motion;[5] magnetoreception in animals[6][7], DNA mutation [8] and brownian motors in many cellular processes.[9]
    Recent studies have identified quantum coherence and entanglement between the excited states of different pigments in the light-harvesting stage of photosynthesis.[10][11] Although this stage of photosynthesis is highly efficient, it remains unclear exactly how or if these quantum effects are relevant biologically.[12]”
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_biology

Functional quantum biology in photosynthesis and magnetoreception
    http://arxiv.org/abs/1205.0883

Using the following Google search terms: “quantum physics and biological systems” hundreds of websites appear, many containing ideas for projects.

One more thing: I'm pretty sure that here on PF member ZapperZ has posted on this very subject.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook