Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Looking for text on stochastic processes

1. Jan 4, 2014 #1
    An introductory text is preferable. Topics relevant (not a deal-breaker if not covered): Poisson process, Markov chains, renewal theory, models for queuing, and reliability.

Also, in the future I'd like to dabble in stochastic calculus, but my background in measure theory is non-existent. I've heard measure theory is a necessity for stochastic calc., so what are some good sources to build a relevant background in measure theory needed for stochastic calc.?

Thanks for any feedback.

Edit: After posting this I've realized there is a section solely for learning materials. Mod. please move if post is in wrong section.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2014 #2

Jano L.

Gold Member

What field are you more inclined to? Science or mathematics/economy?

For science, the book

van Kampen, Stochastic Processes in Physics and Chemistry, Third Edition (North-Holland Personal Library)

https://www.amazon.com/Stochastic-P...TF8&qid=1388864017&sr=8-1&keywords=van+Kampen

might be useful to you. More a collection of methods and problems than an introductory textbook, but has some interesting insights scattered throughout the text.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Jan 4, 2014 #3
    Thanks for the suggestion! The field I'll probably be working with is more-so mathematics/economics (finance) than actual science.

The same methods probably apply in a non-scientific setting. Would general chemistry and standard physics I & II sequence be enough background for the scientific principles in the book? I don't mind the science, but if I have to go out of my way to learn it in order to understand the math, then it might be a distraction.

5. Jan 4, 2014 #4
  6. Jan 4, 2014 #5

Jano L.

Gold Member

Then I think you better try some closer to mathematics textbook as a main text, and peek into van Kampen/others just to get broader view of things and applications.

7. Jan 4, 2014 #6
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook