Looking for the audio of the Duff-Smolin debate

• Thread starter isocliff
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Audio
In summary, The conversation discusses a Duff-Smolin debate that was once hosted at a specific url, but has since been taken down. The participants recall the moderator as Chris Isham and mention the involvement of philosopher Nancy Cartwright. While the audio is no longer available, the transcript can still be found on M. Duff's homepage.
isocliff
Hi all.

Ive lurked around these parts for some time. This is my first but I am sure not the last time I'll be inclined to post here.

I came across a reference recently to the Duff-Smolin debate, which was apparently once hosted at this url:

http://www.thersa.org/__data/assets/file/0003/1839/lecture050307.mp3

...but has now been taken down. Since I saw some mentions of it on PF, I was hoping someone had saved the mp3 and could help me get ahold of it.

Any help much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I did not save an mp3 of the audio and cannot help you. But I recall seeing the transcript as well as listening to it. As I recall the moderator was Chris Isham and it was a kind of 3-way discussion because besides Lee Smolin and Michael Duff there was the excellent philosopher of science Nancy Cartwright.

That is, assuming that we are talking about the same program. I think we are. In a way it was the Nancy Cartwright part that I found most interesting and got the most out of.

I don't know about the audio but the transcript is still there

http://www.thersa.org/__data/assets/pdf_file/0013/661/The-Trouble-with-Physics-smolin-050307.pdf

weburbia said:
I don't know about the audio but the transcript is still there

http://www.thersa.org/__data/assets/pdf_file/0013/661/The-Trouble-with-Physics-smolin-050307.pdf
I don't remember that there was a debate :biggrin: But the original transcript (from Duff's side) can also be found on M. Duff's homepage http://155.198.210.128/~mduff/

1. What is the Duff-Smolin debate?

The Duff-Smolin debate is a highly publicized scientific debate between theoretical physicists George Ellis Duff and Lee Smolin. The debate centered around the concept of the multiverse and the implications it has on the laws of physics.

2. When did the Duff-Smolin debate take place?

The debate took place on November 8, 2007 at the Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics in Canada.

3. Is the audio of the Duff-Smolin debate available to the public?

Yes, the audio of the Duff-Smolin debate is available to the public. It can be found on various websites and platforms such as YouTube and the Perimeter Institute's website.

4. What were the main arguments presented in the Duff-Smolin debate?

The main arguments presented in the Duff-Smolin debate revolved around the validity of the multiverse theory and its impact on our understanding of the laws of physics. Duff argued that the multiverse theory is not falsifiable and therefore cannot be considered a scientific theory. Smolin, on the other hand, argued that the multiverse theory provides a solution to the fine-tuning problem and should be taken seriously in the scientific community.

5. Why is the Duff-Smolin debate significant?

The Duff-Smolin debate is significant because it highlights the ongoing debate in the scientific community about the validity of the multiverse theory and its implications on our understanding of the laws of physics. It also showcases the importance of open and respectful scientific discourse in furthering our knowledge and understanding of the universe.