Looking for the audio of the Duff-Smolin debate

  • Thread starter Thread starter isocliff
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Audio
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
isocliff
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Hi all.

Ive lurked around these parts for some time. This is my first but I am sure not the last time I'll be inclined to post here.

I came across a reference recently to the Duff-Smolin debate, which was apparently once hosted at this url:

http://www.thersa.org/__data/assets/file/0003/1839/lecture050307.mp3

...but has now been taken down. Since I saw some mentions of it on PF, I was hoping someone had saved the mp3 and could help me get ahold of it.

Any help much appreciated.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I did not save an mp3 of the audio and cannot help you. But I recall seeing the transcript as well as listening to it. As I recall the moderator was Chris Isham and it was a kind of 3-way discussion because besides Lee Smolin and Michael Duff there was the excellent philosopher of science Nancy Cartwright.

That is, assuming that we are talking about the same program. I think we are. In a way it was the Nancy Cartwright part that I found most interesting and got the most out of.
 
I don't know about the audio but the transcript is still there

http://www.thersa.org/__data/assets/pdf_file/0013/661/The-Trouble-with-Physics-smolin-050307.pdf
 
Last edited by a moderator:
weburbia said:
I don't know about the audio but the transcript is still there

http://www.thersa.org/__data/assets/pdf_file/0013/661/The-Trouble-with-Physics-smolin-050307.pdf
I don't remember that there was a debate :biggrin: But the original transcript (from Duff's side) can also be found on M. Duff's homepage http://155.198.210.128/~mduff/
 
Last edited by a moderator: