Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Looking for the name of the game

1. Apr 28, 2006 #1
    I used to play a game, where you put "ships" in cortesian plane, it can be either 1,2,3,4 - boxed-ship. You play with opponent, who then guesses the coordinates of the ship, if he/she guesses right, your ship is destroyed. What was the name of it? Does anyone wanna play? :rolleyes:
    Thanks,

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2006 #2

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Battleship. I think you can play online at Yahoo! games or places like that.

4. Apr 28, 2006 #3
    you sunk my battleship!! aahahaahahahH!!!!!!!

...I got nothing...

5. Apr 28, 2006 #4

Curious3141

Homework Helper

"Battleships", plural, I think. Never actually played a game myself.

Seen Harold and Kumar go to White Castle ? "You sunk my battle sh*t !" :rofl:

6. Apr 28, 2006 #5
    yeah, that's the very name I'm talking about. Thanks AKG. I was sitting in my math class today, thinking about predictible human behavior, and just reminded myself, how I used to play that game and always chose {F, 3} as my first move, in fact It was right for more than a half of my guesses. I decided that I do a research paper on Battleship and human's way of thinking - only thinking while playing this game. There was also a person who crossed both diagonals in quest for the battleships. That was a good strategy, I rarely could beat him. I think, just think, that it would be pretty interesting that usually for more than 50% of diagonal-crossing strategy, you'd find at least one ship.

7. Apr 28, 2006 #6

Danger

Gold Member

8. Apr 28, 2006 #7
    Danger, what's your strategy?

9. Apr 28, 2006 #8

Mk

I always use the same one. Try and blow the other guy's ships up as fast as you can.

10. Apr 28, 2006 #9
    So what's your strategy for *finding* those ships that you blow up?

11. Apr 28, 2006 #10

Mk

I just look at the other person's board.

12. Apr 28, 2006 #11
    heartless,
    You can easily play Battleship online at www.gamespark.com.
    That site calls it "Sea Battle" though

13. Apr 29, 2006 #12

Mk

As the Italians says: Bomba them'a! all to hella!

14. Apr 29, 2006 #13
    It's a remarkably boring game once you realize that all strategies are equally useless.

15. Apr 29, 2006 #14
    I realized that before I started playing. So I never started.

16. Apr 29, 2006 #15

Danger

Gold Member

I start by sending planes to carpet bomb the centre of the biggest open water. If there's a hit, I finish it (or them; I got 3 at once that way) off with regular shots. Once it/they are sunk, I send more planes to the centre of the next largest open space. Repeat until out of planes, then start the same thing over again with homing torpedoes. Switch back to planes if any are found as bonuses. When planes and torpedoes are all expended, same again with the cluster bombs. Once again, any planes found are used right away. When there aren't any special weapons available, I determine which is the biggest ship out there and space my shots that many squares apart to ensure total coverage (ie: if the enemy's 2-square-long ships and all of the big ones are sunk, but there's a 3 left, I bomb every 3rd square). Every sinking brings a re-evaluation of how to space them.
    It works pretty well until the sixth round or so, then the computer just starts cheating. It starts hitting my ships directly, with no intermediate 'test' shots. I've also noticed that every time it makes a hit, no matter what round it is, it's always on one end of my ship and then it places all following shots straight down the target until it's done. It doesn't ever have to determine the orientation of the ship like I do. :grumpy:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2006
  17. Apr 29, 2006 #16

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, some strategies are more useless than others.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?