Looking for the title of a book I read years ago

In summary, a book from the late 80's or early 90's called ENGINEMAN by Eric Brown tells the story of mankind's journey to the stars, using faster than light space ships. Eventually, they develop portals that allow for even faster travel, but they soon discover that these portals access an afterlife that is being polluted by their travels. There is also an alien race that can access this hyperspace through meditation. While the book may not be highly acclaimed in terms of writing, the concept is unique and thought-provoking. It is not to be confused with other popular sci-fi books such as Hyperion by Dan Simmons or the Confederation series by Peter F. Hamilton. The book has mixed or negative reviews on
Trysse
Maybe you can help. Years ago I read a book. Unfortunately I can neither remeber the name of the book nor of the author.

In the Story mankind has made it to the stars with faster than light space ships..

Than they develop kind of portals that make the ships redundant. Travel by portal much faster.

Unfortunately it turns hot that these hyperspace these portals access is also our afterlife. And traveling by these portals pollutes our afterlife.

There are also some kind o alien race that can access this hyperspace by means of meditation.

The book must have come out early 90's or late 80's. Back then i felt it was not really a good book in terms of writing. However I thought the idea was kind of original.

Can any of you remember this book? I think it did not have the potential to become a classic.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hyperion, by Dan Simmons?

I checked out the description of Hyperion.
No, that is not the Book I am looking for. But sounds interesting.

Wow, there is some serious SciFi being brought up in this thread!

@Melbourne Guy I haven't read the Hamilton books, but I have seen them on my brother's bookshelf.. So I know it is not the book I am looking for.

The book I am looking for does not play in the same league. The book should have mixed or bad reviews on Amazon. Hyperion has 4 and 1/2 stars.

Found it: ENGINEMAN by Eric Brown. 3 1/2 points on Amazone.

1. What information do you need to help me find the title of the book I read years ago?

In order to help you find the title of the book, I would need as much information as possible about the book such as the author's name, the genre of the book, the main characters, and any specific plot points or memorable scenes that you can remember.

2. How long does it typically take to find the title of a book?

The time it takes to find the title of a book can vary depending on the amount of information provided and the availability of resources. It could take anywhere from a few minutes to several days. It also depends on how well-known the book is and if it is still in print.

3. Can you help me find the title of a book if I only remember a few details?

While having more information about the book can make it easier to find, I will do my best to help you even if you only remember a few details. Sometimes even small details can lead to the correct title.

4. Is there a fee for your assistance in finding the title of a book?

No, there is no fee for my assistance in finding the title of a book. As a scientist, my goal is to help others and share knowledge, so I am happy to assist you in any way I can.

5. Can you guarantee that you will be able to find the title of the book?

While I cannot guarantee that I will be able to find the title of the book, I will do my best to help you. If I am unable to find the title, I can suggest other resources or strategies that may be helpful in your search.