Timeline jump in Alastair Reynolds' Redemption Ark

In summary, the conversation discusses a plot twist in the space opera Redemption Ark where a machinery creates and contains a state 4 quantum vacuum, causing a quantum instability and altering history. The main character, Skade, investigates a co-worker who has seemingly disappeared from existence and discovers that he was an expert on the machinery. The conversation also mentions a similar scene in another book, possibly by Reynolds, where an operator is "disappeared" by a complex machinery. The conversation ends with the hope of someone remembering and being able to identify the book.
EnumaElish
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I have been reading Reynolds's space opera Redemption Ark. In it, the villain Skade attempts to have her ship make a "state 4" jump, meaning jump to a faster-than-light speed. At the heart of the jump is a machinery that creates and contains a state 4 quantum vacuum. A state 4 vacuum is exceedingly difficult to contain, and things go awry. The machinist operating the machinery claims she cannot find a co-worker. He was here a minute ago, she claims. But his name doesn't appear on the crew list. Skade gets curious and runs a research on him. He turns out someone with the exact set of qualifications that would have had Skade recruit him to operate the quantum-state machinery on her ship, had he not perished in an accident some years ago.

The plot's implication is that a quantum instability resulted in a timeline jump, changing history to an extent.

I remember reading this exact same scene in another book. A complex machinery "disappears" an operator. In the newly-created history, he had not been there working at all. No one can remember him except one co-worker. The story offers an explanation how the lone co-worker happens to remember, but everyone else has forgotten him.

It was probably by another author, but I cannot exclude Reynolds entirely. Possibly it was a short story. I cannot remember which book and it's driving me crazy.

It's a long shot but I decided to post it if perchance someone might remember and be kind enough to respond.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Something similar to that happened in the book 'voyage to alpha centauri' but i can't think of any book that would fit exactly. Sorry!

Wow, that's a really interesting plot twist! I haven't read Redemption Ark yet, but now I'm definitely intrigued. It's amazing how authors can come up with such unique and mind-boggling concepts. I can't say I've read a similar scene in another book, but I'll keep an eye out for it. Maybe someone else on this forum has read it and can help you out. Good luck on your search!

1. What is a timeline jump in Alastair Reynolds' Redemption Ark?

A timeline jump in Alastair Reynolds' Redemption Ark refers to a phenomenon where the characters in the story experience a sudden shift in their current timeline, usually due to the actions of advanced technology or powerful beings.

2. How does a timeline jump affect the events in the story?

A timeline jump can have significant effects on the events in the story, as it can alter the course of history and change the outcome of certain events. It can also create paradoxes and alternate timelines.

3. Why do timeline jumps occur in the story?

Timeline jumps occur in the story due to the advanced technology and powerful beings in the universe of Redemption Ark. These entities have the ability to manipulate time and space, causing shifts in the timeline.

4. Can characters control or prevent timeline jumps?

In some cases, characters in the story are able to control or prevent timeline jumps through their use of advanced technology or their understanding of the timeline. However, some timeline jumps may be inevitable and cannot be controlled or prevented.

5. How does the concept of timeline jumps contribute to the overall themes of the story?

The concept of timeline jumps adds to the overall themes of the story, such as the consequences of advanced technology and the concept of fate versus free will. It also adds an element of unpredictability and complexity to the plot, keeping readers engaged and questioning the nature of reality within the story.