Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Looking for wireless device to connect dongle

  1. Oct 6, 2013 #1

    I am using win xp on my laptop. I recently purchased D-Link DWM-156 dongle (google for images). In this I insert indian SIM card and hook this into the USB port of my laptop anb then connect to the net. Now these dongles work best when the signal strength is strong. When I take my laptop to the balcony of my apartment, the signal becomes strong and there is less tendency to get disconnected. But inside the apartment, signal is not so strong and my net connection gets disconnected after every 15 minutes. So I was wondering if I can get some wireless USB port and hook my dongle to
    it and keep this in the balcony of my apartment, so that I don't have to worry much.

  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2013 #2


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    Look for a "WiFi Range Extender", or "WiFi Repeater" - they are widely available.
  4. Oct 7, 2013 #3
    You will need to use a router that allows the WAN connection to come from a 3G/4G USB dongle device. Here's an example of what you will need to use
    You will be able to plug your USB dongle into the wireless router and it will broadcast the connection.

    A range extender will also work but it will need to be like the router in that your USB dongle will need to plug directly into it.

    Check at your local computer stores to see if they are offering something like that.

    Also since you have the DWM156, you may also want to look at the DWR730
  5. Oct 8, 2013 #4
    Thanks for the suggestions, I will look into it
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Similar Discussions: Looking for wireless device to connect dongle