Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Looking to purchase some Mu Metal but

1. Jul 2, 2013 #1
    It's so expensive!
    I've received a few quotes.
    1st quote was 12 inches wide by 12 inches long by .01 thick. 50$ I need 3 feet of that size. But wow that's expensive for a material that's 75-80% nickel.

2nd quote was 4 inches wide by 12 inches long by .01 thick. 27$ I would need 9 feet at that width.

I mean this is really over priced! On eBay they have some mu metal that's cheaper but it has a sticky adhesive on one side that I really don't want.

Does anyone know or have any experience purchasing mu metal? If so could you give me some info on where to get it for a reasonable price?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2013 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I've been satisfied with Magnetic Shield Corporation:

http://www.magnetic-shield.com/index.html

I doubt that they are cheap, but I think their prices are competitive. Also, be careful where you buy your mu-metal shields. If they've been stressed mechanically, they lose much of their high-mu character. They need to be annealed at high temperature after any mechanical forming or manipulation.

4. Jul 3, 2013 #3
    Thanks for the info.
    I will check them out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook