Loose bolt falling from elevator

In summary, the elevator rises to height h and the bolt falls from height h to the bottom of the shaft.
jrk613

Homework Statement

A bolt comes loose from the bottom of an elevator that is moving upward at a speed of 6.88 m/s. The bolt reaches the bottom of the elevator shaft in 3.90 s. How high up was the elevator when the bolt came loose?

Homework Equations

d= v(initial)t + .5at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

d= 6.88(3.9) + .5(-9.89)(3.9)^2

I got the answer -48.38 but the distance is wrong... anyone see where I went wrong? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
jrk613 said:

d= v(initial)t + .5at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the answer -48.38 but the distance is wrong... anyone see where I went wrong? Thanks

In the problem the displacement ang acceleration due to gravity are in the same direction, but the velocity is in the opposite direction. Accordingly use the proper signs of these quantities.

Changing the signs for the first half of the equation i get either + or - 26.832... for the second half i get + or - 75.21. I've tried combining all 4 combinations and all 4 are said to be wrong... any more ideas? thanks again.

Try this
d = - V(initial)*t + 0.5*g*t^2

Remember that before the bolt starts to fall it will carry on up till gravity brings it to a halt.

eh, no luck, thanks anyways folks... i'll find out the answer today

jrk613 said:

I got the answer -48.38 but the distance is wrong... anyone see where I went wrong?
Are you measuring time from when the elevator started rising or from the moment that the bolt began to fall?

If the latter, then what you have is fine except for a sign error. But perhaps the problem is the more interesting one that measures time from the moment that the elevator begins moving upward. In which case you must treat it in two parts: (1) the elevator rises to height h, and (2) the bolt falls from height h to the bottom of the shaft.

1. How often do loose bolts fall from elevators?

The frequency of loose bolts falling from elevators varies depending on a number of factors, such as the age and maintenance of the elevator, the frequency of use, and the quality of the bolts themselves. However, it is not a common occurrence and is typically addressed during routine maintenance checks.

2. What causes a loose bolt to fall from an elevator?

Loose bolts can fall from an elevator due to a variety of reasons, such as wear and tear on the bolts over time, improper installation, or excessive vibrations. It is important to regularly inspect and maintain elevators to prevent loose bolts from falling and potentially causing harm.

3. Is a loose bolt falling from an elevator dangerous?

Yes, a loose bolt falling from an elevator can be dangerous. It can cause damage to the elevator, potentially leading to malfunctions or breakdowns. In some cases, a falling bolt can also pose a safety hazard to those using the elevator or in its vicinity. It is important to address loose bolts promptly to prevent any potential risks.

4. Can a loose bolt falling from an elevator be prevented?

While it is not always possible to prevent loose bolts from falling, there are measures that can be taken to minimize the risk. Regular maintenance and inspections can help identify and address any loose bolts before they become a problem. Proper installation and use of high-quality bolts can also help prevent them from becoming loose in the first place.

5. What should I do if I see a loose bolt falling from an elevator?

If you see a loose bolt falling from an elevator, it is important to report it to the building management or elevator maintenance team immediately. They will be able to assess the situation and take appropriate actions to address the loose bolt and ensure the safety of the elevator and its users.