Lorentz Contraction: Rocket Traveling at (3/4)1/2c - Which Length?

  • Thread starter Thread starter TheTourist
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Relativity
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
TheTourist
Messages
22
Reaction score
0
A man sees a rocket traveling towards him at (3/4)1/2c. Compared to its length when stationary, its length appears to be:
a)1/4
b)1/2
c)3/4
d)the same


I'v tried thinking about it with Lorentz Contraction, but can't seem to get an answer.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi TheTourist! :wink:

Show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:
 
I think I may have it now...
I used the formula to find gamma factor 1/(1-v^2/C^2)^1/2
and got a gamma factor of two, and assuming that the original length is 1, the observed length is 1/2. (Using Lorentz contraction)
 
TheTourist said:
I think I may have it now...
I used the formula to find gamma factor 1/(1-v^2/C^2)^1/2
and got a gamma factor of two, and assuming that the original length is 1, the observed length is 1/2. (Using Lorentz contraction)

Yup! :biggrin: