Lorentz transformation of field with components

In summary, when calculating the commutator between the angular-momentum operators M^{\mu \nu} and the field's component \phi_a, which transforms under Lorentz Transformations, you must take into account the Lorentz transformation of the coordinates and the transformation of the field operator itself. This results in the expression [M^{\mu\nu} , \varphi_{a}(x)] = i \left(x^{\mu}\partial^{\nu} - x^{\nu}\partial^{\mu}\right) \varphi_{a} + \left(\Sigma^{\mu\nu}\right)_{a}{}^{b} \varphi_{b} .
ChrisVer
Gold Member
I am not looking for a solution, just a "starting point"/guidance for calculating the expression:
[itex][M^{\mu \nu} , \phi_a][/itex]
with [itex]M^{\mu \nu}[/itex] being the angular-momentum operators and [itex]\phi_a[/itex] being the field's component, which happens to transform under Lorentz Transformations:
[itex]x'^\mu = x^\mu + \delta \omega^{\rho \sigma} X ^\mu_{\rho \sigma}~~ X^{\mu}_{\rho \sigma} = \eta^{\mu}_\rho x_\sigma - \eta^\mu_\sigma x_\rho[/itex]
like:
[itex]\phi_a'(x') = \phi_a(x) + \frac{1}{2} \delta \omega^{\mu \nu} (\Sigma_{\mu \nu})_a^b \phi_b(x)[/itex]

I have a tendency of writing [itex]M^{\mu \nu} =i( x^\mu \partial^\nu - x^\nu \partial^\mu )[/itex] but I am not sure that this can help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In case you want a solution, I believe there's one in Atkinson's textbook, you should check it out.

ChrisVer said:
under Lorentz Transformations:
[itex]x'^\mu = x^\mu + \delta \omega^{\rho \sigma} X ^\mu_{\rho \sigma}~~ X^{\mu}_{\rho \sigma} = \eta^{\mu}_\rho x_\sigma - \eta^\mu_\sigma x_\rho[/itex]
1) You have a factor of half missing in the Lorentz transformation of the coordinates: [tex]\bar{x}^{\tau} = x^{\tau} + \delta x^{\tau} ,[/tex] [tex]\delta x^{\tau} = \frac{1}{2}\omega_{\mu\nu} (\eta^{\tau \mu} x^{\nu} - \eta^{\tau \nu} x^{\mu}) . \ \ \ \ (1)[/tex]
2) The commutator [itex][M , \varphi ][/itex] means that you are subjecting the field operator to an infinitesimal Lorentz transformation.
3) As an operator, [itex]\varphi[/itex] transforms by (infinite dimensional) unitary representation of the Lorentz group [tex]\bar{\varphi}_{a}(x) = e^{-\frac{i}{2}\omega_{\mu\nu}M^{\mu\nu}} \ \varphi_{a}(x) \ e^{\frac{i}{2}\omega_{\mu\nu}M^{\mu\nu}} .[/tex] Expanding this to first order in [itex]\omega[/itex], you obtain [tex]\delta \varphi_{a}(x) = - \frac{i}{2}\omega_{\mu\nu}[M^{\mu\nu}, \varphi_{a}(x)] , \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ (2)[/tex] [tex]\delta \varphi_{a}(x) \equiv \bar{\varphi}_{a}(x) - \varphi_{a}(x) .[/tex]
4) Since [itex]\varphi_{a}(x)[/itex] is a finite-component field on Minkowski space, Lorentz group mixes its components by (finite-dimensional representation) matrix [itex]D(\omega)[/itex], and transform its argument by [itex]\Lambda^{-1}[/itex] [tex]\bar{\varphi}_{a}(x) = D_{a}{}^{b} (\omega) \varphi_{b}(\Lambda^{-1}x) . \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ (3)[/tex] Infinitesimally, we may write [tex]D_{a}{}^{b} (\omega) = \delta_{a}{}^{b} - \frac{i}{2} \omega_{\mu\nu} \left( \Sigma^{\mu\nu}\right)_{a}{}^{b} ,[/tex] [tex]\Lambda^{-1}x = x - \delta x .[/tex] Using these expressions and keeping only the terms linear in [itex]\omega[/itex], Eq(3) becomes [tex]\delta \varphi_{a}(x) = - \delta x^{\tau} \partial_{\tau}\varphi_{a} - \frac{i}{2}\omega_{\mu\nu} \left(\Sigma^{\mu\nu}\right)_{a}{}^{b} \varphi_{b} .[/tex]
Now, in this expression, substitute (1) and (2) to obtain [tex][M^{\mu\nu} , \varphi_{a}(x)] = i \left(x^{\mu}\partial^{\nu} - x^{\nu}\partial^{\mu}\right) \varphi_{a} + \left(\Sigma^{\mu\nu}\right)_{a}{}^{b} \varphi_{b} .[/tex]
[itex]M^{\mu \nu} =i( x^\mu \partial^\nu - x^\nu \partial^\mu )[/itex]
This expression has no meaning in field theory: on the left hand side, you have [itex]M^{\mu\nu}[/itex] which is an operator constructed out of [itex]\varphi_{a}[/itex] and its conjugate [itex]\pi^{a}[/itex], but the differential "operator" on the RHS, [itex]x^{[\mu} \partial^{\nu]}[/itex] is not an operator in field theory. If the generator [itex]M^{\mu\nu}[/itex] acts on the field [itex]\varphi[/itex] according to [tex][M^{\mu\nu} , \varphi (x)] = i (x^{\mu}\partial^{\nu} - x^{\nu}\partial^{\mu}) \varphi (x) ,[/tex] this means that [itex]\varphi[/itex] is a scalar field, i.e., the spin matrix [itex]\Sigma = 0[/itex].

Likes ChrisVer, vanhees71 and dextercioby

What is the Lorentz transformation of a field with components?

The Lorentz transformation is a mathematical equation that describes how the components of a field change when transitioning between two reference frames that are moving relative to each other at a constant velocity. It takes into account the principles of special relativity, including time dilation and length contraction.

Why is the Lorentz transformation important in physics?

The Lorentz transformation is an essential tool in the field of physics as it allows us to understand the behavior of physical quantities in different reference frames. It is crucial in modern physics, particularly in the areas of relativity, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics.

How is the Lorentz transformation calculated for a field with components?

The Lorentz transformation for a field with components is calculated using a set of equations known as the Lorentz transformation equations. These equations take into account the velocity of the two reference frames, as well as the speed of light, to determine how the components of the field change between the two frames.

What are the key principles behind the Lorentz transformation?

The Lorentz transformation is based on two key principles: the constancy of the speed of light and the relativity of simultaneity. These principles, along with the laws of physics, dictate how the components of a field will transform between two reference frames that are moving relative to each other at a constant velocity.

How does the Lorentz transformation affect the measurement of physical quantities?

The Lorentz transformation affects the measurement of physical quantities by accounting for the differences in measurements between two reference frames. This is particularly important when dealing with quantities such as time and distance, as their values can vary depending on the observer's reference frame.