Proof of Lorentz invariance of Klein-Gordon equation

In summary, the Lorentz invariance of the Klein-Gordon equation can be proven by first showing the invariance of the Lagrangian ##\mathcal{L}_{KG}## under a Lorentz transformation, and then by demonstrating the Lorentz invariance of the spacetime volume element ##d^{4}x##. This is achieved by showing that the Jacobian of the Lorentz transformation is equal to 1, thus proving that ##d^{4}x## is Lorentz invariant.
spaghetti3451
I would like to prove the Lorentz invariance of the Klein-Gordon equation by proving the invariance of the action ##\mathcal{S} = \int d^{4}x\ \mathcal{L}_{KG}## under a Lorentz tranformation.

I would like to do this by first proving the Lorentz invariance of the ##\mathcal{L}_{KG}## and then by proving the Lorentz invariance of the spacetime volume element ##d^{4}x##.

Firstly, under a Lorentz transformation ##\Lambda##,

##\mathcal{L}_{KG} = \frac{1}{2}(\partial_{\mu}\phi)(x)(\partial^{\mu}\phi)(x)-\frac{1}{2}m^{2}\phi^{2}(x) = \frac{1}{2}\eta^{\mu\nu}(\partial_{\mu}\phi)(x)(\partial_{\nu}\phi)(x)-\frac{1}{2}m^{2}\phi^{2}(x)##

##\qquad \rightarrow \frac{1}{2}\eta^{\mu\nu}{(\Lambda^{-1})^{\rho}}_{\mu}{(\Lambda^{-1})^{\sigma}}_{\nu}(\partial_{\rho}\phi)(\Lambda^{-1}x)(\partial_{\sigma}\phi)(\Lambda^{-1}x)-\frac{1}{2}m^{2}\phi^{2}(\Lambda^{-1}x)##

##\qquad = \frac{1}{2}{(\Lambda^{-1})^{\rho}}_{\mu}{(\Lambda^{-1})^{\sigma}}_{\nu}\eta^{\nu\mu}(\partial_{\rho}\phi)(\Lambda^{-1}x)(\partial_{\sigma}\phi)(\Lambda^{-1}x)-\frac{1}{2}m^{2}\phi^{2}(\Lambda^{-1}x)##

##\qquad = \frac{1}{2}{(\Lambda^{-1})^{\rho}}_{\mu}(\Lambda^{-1})^{\sigma\mu}(\partial_{\rho}\phi)(\Lambda^{-1}x)(\partial_{\sigma}\phi)(\Lambda^{-1}x)-\frac{1}{2}m^{2}\phi^{2}(\Lambda^{-1}x)##

##\qquad = \frac{1}{2}{(\Lambda^{-1})^{\rho}}_{\mu}(\Lambda)^{\mu\sigma}(\partial_{\rho}\phi)(\Lambda^{-1}x)(\partial_{\sigma}\phi)(\Lambda^{-1}x)-\frac{1}{2}m^{2}\phi^{2}(\Lambda^{-1}x)##

##\qquad = \frac{1}{2}\eta^{\rho\sigma}(\partial_{\rho}\phi)(\Lambda^{-1}x)(\partial_{\sigma}\phi)(\Lambda^{-1}x)-\frac{1}{2}m^{2}\phi^{2}(\Lambda^{-1}x)##

##\qquad = \frac{1}{2}\eta^{\sigma\rho}(\partial_{\rho}\phi)(\Lambda^{-1}x)(\partial_{\sigma}\phi)(\Lambda^{-1}x)-\frac{1}{2}m^{2}\phi^{2}(\Lambda^{-1}x)##

##\qquad = \frac{1}{2}(\partial^{\sigma}\phi)(\Lambda^{-1}x)(\partial_{\sigma}\phi)(\Lambda^{-1}x)-\frac{1}{2}m^{2}\phi^{2}(\Lambda^{-1}x)##

Are my steps to show that the Klein-Gordon Lagrangian ##\mathcal{L}_{KG}## is Lorentz invariant all correct?

There's nothing new to add to my post.

If someone checks my working and gives me a thumbs up, I will proceed to show that the spacetime volume element ##d^{4}x## is also Lorentz invariant, thus proving that the Klein-Gordon equation is Lorentz invariant (since the Klein-Gordon equation is derived from the variation of a soon-to-be-proved Lorentz invariant Klein-Gordon action).

I'm new to quantum field theory and general relativity, and so I'm practicing my technical skills and, in the process, learning the subjects.

As my query falls under the subject of classical (relativistic) field theory, I initially thought that the 'Classical Physics' subforum was better suited for this thread.

Your steps look correct to me. The transformation ##\phi \rightarrow \phi(\Lambda^{-1} x)## permutes the points of ##\mathbb{R}^4## and since you're summing over them all the action is invariant. The invariance of ##dx^4## I believe follows from ##\det(\Lambda)=1##.

Thanks!

Let me now prove the Lorentz invariance of the spacetime volume element ##d^{4}x##.

Under a Lorentz transformation ##\Lambda##,

##d^{4}x \rightarrow d^{4}x \Big|\frac{\partial x^{\mu}}{\partial x^{\mu'}}\Big|##, where ##\Big|\frac{\partial x^{\mu}}{\partial x^{\mu'}}\Big|## is the Jacobian of the Lorentz transformation.

The Jacobian of the Lorentz transformation = 1, so the spacetime volume element ##d^{4}x## is Lorentz invariant.

Likes vanhees71

What is Lorentz invariance and why is it important in physics?

Lorentz invariance is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the laws of physics should remain unchanged under a Lorentz transformation, which is a mathematical representation of the relationship between space and time. It is important in physics because it allows us to make predictions and understand the behavior of physical systems in different reference frames.

What is the Klein-Gordon equation and how is it related to Lorentz invariance?

The Klein-Gordon equation is a relativistic wave equation that describes the behavior of a quantum particle with spin zero. It is related to Lorentz invariance because it is derived from the principles of special relativity, which includes the concept of Lorentz invariance.

What is the proof of Lorentz invariance of the Klein-Gordon equation?

The proof of Lorentz invariance of the Klein-Gordon equation involves showing that the equation remains unchanged under a Lorentz transformation. This can be done by using the Lorentz transformation equations and substituting them into the Klein-Gordon equation, and then showing that the resulting equation is identical to the original one.

What are the implications of the Lorentz invariance of the Klein-Gordon equation?

The Lorentz invariance of the Klein-Gordon equation has several implications. It means that the equation is valid in all inertial reference frames, and that it accurately describes the behavior of quantum particles in both high and low speeds. It also allows for the prediction of new physical phenomena, such as the existence of antiparticles.

Are there any experimental confirmations of the Lorentz invariance of the Klein-Gordon equation?

Yes, there have been several experimental confirmations of the Lorentz invariance of the Klein-Gordon equation. One example is the observation of the decay of pi mesons, which are particles that have spin zero and follow the predictions of the Klein-Gordon equation. Additionally, the results of high-energy particle collisions at accelerators, such as the Large Hadron Collider, also support the Lorentz invariance of the Klein-Gordon equation.