Lots of the tape stuck to the carpet

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
wolram
Gold Member
So i have been rapping all the Xmas presents, and needless to say i have lots of the tape stuck to the carpet, i have tried every thing to get it of, hot watter, carpet cleaner, fairy liquid
endless picking, now i am a bit brassed off, any tips please.

Answers and Replies

Borek
Mentor

Instead of picking add more and give your carpet as a tightly wrapped present to someone you don't like?

wolram
Gold Member

Instead of picking add more and give your carpet as a tightly wrapped present to someone you don't like?

Yes i suppose i should resort to saw dust, but i like my carpet.

Never had that problem, but I would think a solvent would get it off. Only potential problem there is it might also mess up the carpet.

Maybe isopropyl alcohol would dissolve the adhesive without destroying the carpet? Might want to test that out to make sure your carpet won't bleach or generally get messed up. Also, maybe tweezers would help pull them off safely.

Note that I am not responsible for the results if this backfires on you! :eek:

Other than that, might be a good time to call professionals. Or ask for a new carpet for Christmas. :biggrin:

FlexGunship
Gold Member

So i have been rapping all the Xmas presents, and needless to say i have lots of the tape stuck to the carpet, i have tried every thing to get it of, hot watter, carpet cleaner, fairy liquid

Woah, woah, woah... I'm unclear on the premise. You were wrapping presents, and got tape on the carpet? Tape isn't like water, you can't just "spill a bit" here or there. Was the carpet integral to the wrapping process, or are you such a deranged gift wrapper that you create a flurry of wrapping paper and tape being strewn about amid a cacophony of screams?

turbo
Gold Member

OK, here's the plan. Saturate the carpet with alcohol and if the tape doesn't lift off easily, help it along by heating it with the live flame from a small propane torch.

Oops! Wait! Didn't we get into trouble with this a couple of years back?

Just rip up the carpet and cover your floor with Xmas wrapping paper. It will be cool and one-of-a-kind. Best of all, you can use the carpet to wrap the rest of your presents.

turbo
Gold Member

BTW, is Tribdog out of the burn unit yet?

Evo
Mentor

Woah, woah, woah... I'm unclear on the premise. You were wrapping presents, and got tape on the carpet? Tape isn't like water, you can't just "spill a bit" here or there. Was the carpet integral to the wrapping process, or are you such a deranged gift wrapper that you create a flurry of wrapping paper and tape being strewn about amid a cacophony of screams?
You don't know wolram, do you? :biggrin:

He got his foot stuck in his boot, so stuck a knife inside to pry it loose...

He superglued himself and a towel to the kitchen counter.

His chimney blew up (inside the houe).

Woolie is my better half. :!!)

turbo
Gold Member

Woolie is my better half. :!!)
He is actually better because he is still physically intact. He may have an edge over me in the mentally-intact department, but that's another issue.

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Woolie if you use alcohol, isopropyl or another flavor, make sure there are no flames nearby :surprised

turbo
Gold Member

Woolie if you use alcohol, isopropyl or another flavor, make sure there are no flames nearby :surprised
Damned fun-killer! We old codgers have to get some kind of excitement once we are done thrashing road-bikes and generally physically abusing our bodies.

Snag a can of triple or more (easy to find) butane. Use the edge of a quarter to fire the canister and soak the tape and carpet for a few seconds. IMMEDIATELY try to remove the tape, and if that doesn't work, wait about 30 minutes and try a NON ACETONE nail polisher.

Test on the carpet first, wear eye and other protection, vent the room, and all other disclaimers apply.

Butane... it's a clean and fantastic solvent!

sounds like getting gum out of a kid's hair.

try massaging peanut butter into it.

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

sounds like getting gum out of a kid's hair.

try massaging peanut butter into it.

Hmm...Woolie's next thread title: Peanut butter

Evo
Mentor

Hmm...Woolie's next thread title: Peanut butter
:rofl:

Danger
Gold Member

I can't imagine how you managed to get tape stuck to your carpet in the first place; wrapping isn't rocket science.
And why is it stuck? I've occasionally had a stray piece of cello tape land on the floor, and even been trod upon, and it always just peeled up with no fuss.
The closest that I've come to this situation is when my cat decided to investigate what a roll of duct tape was all about. It was a bit messy, but it saved me about 2 months of brushing her.

I thought I was the only one who read the first statement as " So i have been raping all ... "

wolram
Gold Member

You have to stick one end to the carpet or you keep loosing it, then it takes ages to find it again.

Evo
Mentor

You have to stick one end to the carpet or you keep loosing it, then it takes ages to find it again.
<shakes head> :tongue:

turbo
Gold Member

I think I'm beginning to see our disconnect. We think of that nice, friendly Scotch Magic Tape in an easy-to-handle dispenser, but Woolie might be talking about that really thin tenacious stuff used to tape up boxes and wrap parcels - packing tape.

I think I'm beginning to see our disconnect. We think of that nice, friendly Scotch Magic Tape in an easy-to-handle dispenser, but Woolie might be talking about that really thin tenacious stuff used to tape up boxes and wrap parcels - packing tape.

Absolutely: Cello-Tape: Cellophane Tape, which can refer to its makeup or appearance. Scotch tape is a completely different animal as you say.

FlexGunship
Gold Member
Last edited by a moderator:

now i am a bit brassed off, any tips please.

Don't stick cellotape to the carpet.

EDIT: Or use gift bags.

Last edited:
FlexGunship
Gold Member

Don't stick cellotape to the carpet.

EDIT: Or use gift bags.

sp_1411_clip02.jpg

EDIT: That's Captain Hindsight for those of you who are unaware.

Last edited:
Danger
Gold Member

sp_1411_clip02.jpg

EDIT: That's Captain Hindsight for those of you who are unaware.
Isn't that eyeball on the wrong part of his uniform?