Love Means Different Things in Different Languages

• Lingusitics
  • Thread starter BillTre
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Love Means
In summary, a recent study has revealed that words for love have varying meanings in different languages and are associated with different emotions. This was discovered by comparing networks of related terms in different languages. The study also found that in Indo-European languages, love can also mean want or envy, and this highlights the importance of understanding the cultural context for language learners.
BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
A recent study (Science mag news report) has shown that words for love are associated with different emotions in different languages and therefore vary in meaning somewhat. Comparing networks of related terms in different languages has revealed these differences.
Love related groups of words are yellow in the figure.

Screen Shot 2019-12-20 at 4.36.03 PM.png

Likes QuantumQuest and 256bits
Science news on Phys.org
... and "love" means zero in tennis. :oldbiggrin:

The tennis term is derived from French: l'oeuf, or the egg, which is sort of shaped like the numeral zero.

• Informative
Likes Klystron, QuantumQuest, gleem and 1 other person
The Indo-European has love meaning Wart?:) - I would love to know who gave that response in the survey.
II want, I mean would love to have the T-shirt. That would be lovely .

Likes Evo
I think the "wart" is actually "want".
The right side descender is obscured by its circle.

Likes 256bits
BillTre said:
I think the "wart" is actually "want".
The right side descender is obscured by its circle.
Well, it was supposed to be tongue-n-cheek comment.
But.
Doesn't love also represent envy for Indo-European.
Envy seems to positioned far north of love.
EX
" I love that dress."
"I love that car he's driving."

Likes Evo
This last paragraph of the cited publication
At the very least, Jackson hopes his study offers some insight for language learners. “Just learning the words isn’t learning the language,” he says. You also need to learn the context."
sums interesting and elusive facets of learning a language: understanding the culture and customs.

Studying and learning language remains incomplete without cultural moorings to understand the society.

Likes BillTre

1. What is the concept of love in different languages?

The concept of love varies across different languages and cultures. Some languages, such as English, have a single word for love that encompasses all types of love, while others may have multiple words to describe different types of love, such as romantic love, familial love, and platonic love.

2. How do different cultures express love?

Different cultures have unique ways of expressing love. Some may use physical touch, such as hugging or kissing, while others may express love through acts of service or gift-giving. Some cultures may also have specific rituals or traditions that are associated with expressing love.

3. Is the feeling of love the same in all languages?

The feeling of love may be universal, but the way it is expressed and understood can differ among languages. For example, the Japanese word "ai" may be translated as "love" in English, but it also carries a sense of deep affection and respect that may not be fully captured in the English translation.

4. Do different languages have different words for love?

Yes, different languages have different words for love. For instance, Greek has multiple words for love, including "agape" (unconditional love), "philia" (friendship love), and "eros" (romantic love). Some languages may also have words that are unique to their culture and cannot be directly translated into other languages.

5. How does language influence our understanding of love?

Language plays a significant role in shaping our understanding of love. Different languages have different words and expressions for love, which can influence how we perceive and experience this complex emotion. Additionally, cultural norms and values associated with love may also be reflected in the language used to express it.