1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses Low cost distance education universities

1. Oct 20, 2016 #1
    Hello all,

I'm enrolled at an Australian university that offers mathematics. However, I want to fast track my education by enrolling in units over the holidays ( late Nov to early March). The problem, however, is that my institution does not offer advanced second or third year units. I'm talking about abstract algebra, real analysis, combinatorics, etc here.

Unfortunately, comparable G8 ( or "elite") institutions don't have much of a mathematics offering either. Even worse, Open University Australia is nothing like the British counterpart and does not offers entire degrees in mathematics and physics. I'd utilize that if OU UK ( or University of London International Programme's noticeably weaker offering) weren't so overpriced.

The solution I thought was to utilize universities abroad particularly those in developing nations. Seeing that I'd have to pay out of pocket, I am sure the fees would be substantially lower. I've checked out open universities in India, but the websites are difficult to navigate, fees are unavailable and it does seem closed to most Westerners.

Seeing that I'm still looking around, I've decided to give this forum a try. Is anyone here familiar with open universities in Africa, Asia or Europe? I've avoided American and Canadian institutions because they're pricey ( i.e. +$1000 US per course) and am looking for something substantially cheaper. I also require the courses to be in English as well...

Hope you guys can help.

Cheers!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2016 #2
    I don't know of any respectable schools offering distance learning courses in math or physics beyond the typical first year courses.

Even if you find one, I would double check that the credit you hope to earn will be transferable to your degree granting institution.

Most decent degree granting institutions are reasonably skeptical of credit earned in some of the available distance learning programs.

4. Oct 21, 2016 #3
    Will be doing that once I find such a provider. It would've been great if Indian institutions offered their units to Westerners, though. They seem respectable considering that their open university grads do post-grad studies in the West.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted