1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Online distance education electives

1. Oct 29, 2006 #1
    In order to meet the requirements for my double major, I have to have a minimum number of units which unfortunately is a tiny bit short of the number of units I'll have when I fulfill all my course requirements.

Therefore, I'm interested in taking about 4 semester-units of credit online, in a subject (preferably math) that I wouldn't take ordinarily - something like Abstract Algebra, Complex Analysis, possibly Real Analysis, etc. However, any other topic in physics, engineering, history, or french is welcome.

The course has to be during the summer for me to get credit from it, and preferably could be taken Pass/Fail. It also has to be from an accredited university that accepts it toward it's own on-campus degrees.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2006 #2
    most colleges tha I've seen don't accept online credits

4. Oct 31, 2006 #3
    Your school doesn't have online classes?

5. Oct 31, 2006 #4
    not at the undergraduate level...

They'll take online courses...but they have to be equivalent to the course offered by the same (accredited) school on campus, and acceptable towards the bachelor's degree there...and there are significant restrictions on the what the credits can be used for. Basically, elective units only. Which is fine by me.

For example, UC berkeley online courses count. But UC Berkeley basically only has pre-calculus.

6. Oct 31, 2006 #5
    Dont you go to UMBC?

Jus take it at CP.

I would generally say stay away from online courses.

7. Oct 31, 2006 #6
    mmmm...no, USC.

It's just that there's no room in my schedule for more math...so in order to get the elective units needed I would just take more engineering here...

8. Nov 1, 2006 #7
    Oh, my bad.

Just take something, as long as it is not online. More engineering courses are good.

9. Nov 1, 2006 #8

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nothing at all is wrong with online classes; Stanford offers entire master's degree programs in a number of fields, entirely online.

- Warren

10. Nov 1, 2006 #9
    I know a guy at work who is doing his masters at stanford online. He said it is harder because he's not sitting there and can't interact with the teacher. (But he has moved down there to do his PhD). Personally, I would stay away for that reason.

11. Nov 1, 2006 #10

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's definitely a slightly harder route -- but it's Stanford, after all. What do you expect? Cake?

- Warren

12. Nov 1, 2006 #11
    It's the same at USC...the entire master's engineering program is online now as an option, including most of the undergrad courses which are requirements or prerequisites for master's degrees.

But it doesn't make sense for me to take those courses online, since I'm here anyways.

I really don't mind online courses or self-study...all I really need are a syllabus, textbook, and an exam to take :)

13. Nov 1, 2006 #12
    Well, it being hard because you cant interact with the professor has nothing to do with the name of the school.

14. Nov 1, 2006 #13

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It may be different at other schools, but, frankly, very few people ever seem to interrupt professors at Stanford. For some reason, students ask maybe 2-3 questions per 75 minute lecture. Everyone else just posts a blizzard of questions to the course's bulletin board, which are all answered by TAs. It works out pretty well -- I rarely feel like I am seriously missing out on anything. Other schools may well be different.

- Warren

15. Nov 1, 2006 #14
    More or less, I agree with you on that. Also, its not the same when you can't turn to the guy sitting next to you, you know?

You really are on your own, so to speak.

Also, you are grad and I am not. So that in-and-of -itself is going to be different.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2006
  16. Nov 1, 2006 #15
    Here, certain professors operate on the "socratic" method of teaching - you must ask questions, and you will be asked questions, in class. And it can be a significant part of your grade. Personally, I love it, but it's not universally liked.

Obviously that's never the case in the online classes, though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?