Low cost distance education universities

In summary: However, I'm not sure if the degrees they offer are internationally transferable.Indian institutions seem respectable considering that their open university grads do post-grad studies in the West. However, I'm not sure if the degrees they offer are internationally transferable.
BubblesAreUs
Hello all,

I'm enrolled at an Australian university that offers mathematics. However, I want to fast track my education by enrolling in units over the holidays ( late Nov to early March). The problem, however, is that my institution does not offer advanced second or third year units. I'm talking about abstract algebra, real analysis, combinatorics, etc here.

Unfortunately, comparable G8 ( or "elite") institutions don't have much of a mathematics offering either. Even worse, Open University Australia is nothing like the British counterpart and does not offers entire degrees in mathematics and physics. I'd utilize that if OU UK ( or University of London International Programme's noticeably weaker offering) weren't so overpriced.

The solution I thought was to utilize universities abroad particularly those in developing nations. Seeing that I'd have to pay out of pocket, I am sure the fees would be substantially lower. I've checked out open universities in India, but the websites are difficult to navigate, fees are unavailable and it does seem closed to most Westerners.

Seeing that I'm still looking around, I've decided to give this forum a try. Is anyone here familiar with open universities in Africa, Asia or Europe? I've avoided American and Canadian institutions because they're pricey ( i.e. +$1000 US per course) and am looking for something substantially cheaper. I also require the courses to be in English as well...

Hope you guys can help.

Cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know of any respectable schools offering distance learning courses in math or physics beyond the typical first year courses.

Even if you find one, I would double check that the credit you hope to earn will be transferable to your degree granting institution.

Most decent degree granting institutions are reasonably skeptical of credit earned in some of the available distance learning programs.

Dr. Courtney said:
I don't know of any respectable schools offering distance learning courses in math or physics beyond the typical first year courses.

Even if you find one, I would double check that the credit you hope to earn will be transferable to your degree granting institution.

Most decent degree granting institutions are reasonably skeptical of credit earned in some of the available distance learning programs.
Will be doing that once I find such a provider. It would've been great if Indian institutions offered their units to Westerners, though. They seem respectable considering that their open university grads do post-grad studies in the West.

1. What is the definition of a "low cost distance education university"?

A low cost distance education university is a higher education institution that offers academic programs and courses through online learning platforms at a significantly lower cost compared to traditional universities. These universities typically have lower tuition fees and offer flexible payment options to make higher education more accessible and affordable for students.

2. How do low cost distance education universities maintain academic quality?

Low cost distance education universities maintain academic quality by employing experienced and qualified faculty, implementing rigorous curriculum standards, and using advanced technology to deliver effective and interactive online learning experiences. They also undergo accreditation processes to ensure that their programs and courses meet the same standards as traditional universities.

3. Can I transfer credits earned from a low cost distance education university to other universities?

Yes, most low cost distance education universities have partnerships and credit transfer agreements with other universities. However, it is important to check with the specific university and program to ensure that the credits earned will be accepted by the desired institution.

4. Are there any limitations or disadvantages of attending a low cost distance education university?

One potential limitation is that not all programs or courses may be available online, so students may have limited options when it comes to choosing their major or specialization. Additionally, some employers may still prefer degrees from traditional universities. It is important to research and consider the reputation and accreditation of a low cost distance education university before enrolling.

5. Are there any financial aid options for students attending low cost distance education universities?

Yes, many low cost distance education universities offer financial aid options such as scholarships, grants, and loans to help students cover the cost of tuition. Students should also explore external financial aid options, such as government aid and private scholarships, to further reduce their expenses.