Low Entropy big bang , models that explain it

In summary, there are several explanations for the low entropy configuration of the universe at the big bang. One is the multiverse, which is the Caroll/Chen model. Another is the cyclic universe, which is the CCC model. A third is the hybrid of the two, which is the Baum/Frmapton model. The dense state of the universe does not seem to be a viable explanation, after all I would have thought if the universe was so incredibly compressed then the number of allowed configurations should be less, obviously this is not the case . However, it is still possible to consider our current state as a configuration of the system, just as relevant as its early state.
skydivephil
Hi
As I understand it there are several attmepts to explain the low entropy configuration of the universe at the big bang.
Is seems to me the choices on the table that I am aware of are a mutliverse as in the Caroll/Chen model . A cyclic universe as in the CCC model or some hybrid of the two as in the Baum/Frmapton model.
Are there any other explanations to this and if so how do they work?

Also why does the dense state of the unvierse not work as an explanation? After all I would have thought if the unvierse is so incredibly compressed then the number of allowed configurations should be less, obviously this is not the case , but why not ?

Space news on Phys.org
I wouldn't say that CCC attempts to explain the low-entropy big bang. Penrose takes the Weyl curvature hypothesis as an assumption. That means assuming the low-entropy big bang, not explaining it. I also don't think CCC is viable at this point. It predicted nonstandard particle physics, which turned out to be incompatible with observation. (The CMB evidence also turned out to be completely bogus.)

skydivephil said:
Also why does the dense state of the unvierse not work as an explanation? After all I would have thought if the unvierse is so incredibly compressed then the number of allowed configurations should be less, obviously this is not the case , but why not ?
Bear in mind that our current universe and the early universe are just two different states of the same system. So if you want to examine the entropy of the situation, you have to consider our current state to be just as relevant a configuration of the system as its early state. The total number of configurations available is not limited by the small size of the early system, because it is possible for such a small system to evolve into a large one like the one we observe.

However, it naively seems like the small size of the early universe must have something to do with the answer, whatever that answer happens to be. Carol and Chen proposed an explanation where a small piece of a large universe which has high entropy but very low entropy density could start off a new universe: it isn't a huge drop in entropy because of the low entropy density of the "parent" universe.

1. What is the low entropy big bang model?

The low entropy big bang model is a cosmological theory that explains the origin of the universe. It proposes that the universe began in a state of low entropy, meaning that its energy was evenly distributed and disorder was minimal. This model suggests that the universe underwent a rapid expansion known as the big bang, which led to the formation of galaxies, stars, and other structures.

2. How does the low entropy big bang model differ from other theories?

The low entropy big bang model differs from other theories, such as the steady-state or cyclic models, in that it posits a singular starting point for the universe. This starting point, known as the singularity, is a point of infinite density and temperature where the laws of physics break down. The other models, on the other hand, propose that the universe has always existed or goes through cycles of expansion and contraction.

3. What evidence supports the low entropy big bang model?

One of the key pieces of evidence for the low entropy big bang model is the cosmic microwave background radiation (CMB). This is a faint glow of radiation that permeates the universe and is thought to be leftover heat from the big bang. The CMB is consistent with the predictions of the low entropy big bang model and provides strong evidence for its validity.

4. Are there any challenges to the low entropy big bang model?

While the low entropy big bang model has a lot of supporting evidence, there are still some challenges that scientists are working to address. One of the main challenges is explaining the initial low entropy state of the universe. Another challenge is the observation of dark matter and dark energy, which do not fit neatly into the model and require further study.

5. How does the low entropy big bang model impact our understanding of the universe?

The low entropy big bang model has greatly impacted our understanding of the universe and its origins. It has provided a framework for explaining the structure and evolution of the universe, as well as the laws of physics that govern it. Additionally, the model has led to new discoveries and advancements in cosmology, helping us to better understand our place in the universe.