'Low Level' Error Terms in Expected Mean Square Calculation

In summary, for random effects models, the Expected Mean Square calculations for any factor include lower level error terms and a term relating to the factor. For example, if A and B are both random, the Expected Mean Square for A would be calculated as the sum of the error variance, n*(AB Interaction variance), and n*b*(A variance). This is important for accurately interpreting statistical analyses and identifying any significant interactions that may affect the model. The inclusion of the AB interaction variance in the Expected Mean Square calculation for factor A is necessary to account for any potential confounding effects and ensure the accuracy of the statistical assessment.
I'm currently studying experiments where one or more factors are random, i.e. random effects models. In this model a professor explained that the Expected Mean Square calculations for any factor are:

Expected Mean Square (factor) = (lower level error terms) + (term relating to factor)

For example, if A and B are both random, then

Expected Mean Square (A) = (Error variance) + n*(AB Interaction variance) + n*b*(A variance)

My question is why does the AB interaction variance get classified as a 'lower level' error in relation to A and as a result get included in the Expected Mean Square calculation for factor A?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
3.141592654 said:
I'm currently studying experiments where one or more factors are random, i.e. random effects models. In this model a professor explained that the Expected Mean Square calculations for any factor are:

Expected Mean Square (factor) = (lower level error terms) + (term relating to factor)

For example, if A and B are both random, then

Expected Mean Square (A) = (Error variance) + n*(AB Interaction variance) + n*b*(A variance)

My question is why does the AB interaction variance get classified as a 'lower level' error in relation to A and as a result get included in the Expected Mean Square calculation for factor A?

Thanks.

Hey 3.141592654.

In terms of statistical purposes, classifying interaction effects separately is useful because if there is a significant interaction then in the context of experimental design, we will want to redesign the experiment so that this interaction is removed (or in practice minimized) so that it does not effect the statistical analysis and the accuracy of its interpretation.

If there is serious confounding going on then we will not be able to distinctly know what effects are going on and this is the reason why assessing interactions statistically is important because without taking this into account, we would have processes that are essentially are creating some kind of hidden behaviour that would jeopardize the accuracy of a statistical assessment.

In terms of your actual question I looked up mean square here through this website:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mean_squared_error

Intuitively in terms of how interaction effects contribute to larger errors for an accurate estimator, the above gives a little insight into this. Remember that if interactions are significant this will have a huge affect on the applicability of the model.

In terms of the 'lower level terms', maybe you could post a definition of what is meant by this as I have not come across this before myself.

1. What are 'low level' error terms in expected mean square calculation?

'Low level' error terms refer to the residual error that cannot be explained by the factors included in the expected mean square calculation. These errors are usually random and can be caused by factors such as measurement error, individual differences, or uncontrolled variables.

2. How do 'low level' error terms impact the expected mean square calculation?

Low level error terms can affect the accuracy of the expected mean square calculation by increasing the variability in the data. This can lead to inflated or underestimated values, and ultimately affect the interpretation of the results.

3. Can 'low level' error terms be avoided in expected mean square calculation?

It is not possible to completely eliminate low level error terms in expected mean square calculation as they are inherent in any measurement or experiment. However, researchers can minimize their impact by controlling for potential confounding variables and using reliable measurement techniques.

4. Are 'low level' error terms considered significant in expected mean square calculation?

The significance of low level error terms in expected mean square calculation depends on their magnitude and the specific context of the study. In some cases, they may be considered negligible and have little impact on the results, while in others they may be more significant and need to be accounted for in the analysis.

5. How are 'low level' error terms typically addressed in expected mean square calculation?

One common approach to handling 'low level' error terms in expected mean square calculation is to use statistical methods such as analysis of variance (ANOVA) or regression analysis to account for their contribution to the overall variability in the data. Additionally, researchers may also use techniques such as randomization or counterbalancing to minimize the impact of these errors on the results.