Low p_t cuts in experimental measurements

In summary: Differential measurements are especially important e.g. for verifying the SM in all phase spaces (or trying to challenge it). You might have new physics appearing in a region of the phase space for example above some momentum threshold (e.g. ##p_T > 400\text{ GeV}##) and below which the new processes are suppressed.The only time you would see the new physics is if it had a very large cross section.If you looked inclusively starting from ##p_T > 20\text{ GeV}## you wouldn't see it (Except for if the new physics appeared with very large cross sections). In a similar manner that you would have never seen the Higgs boson in
CAF123
Gold Member
Just few questions based on experimental presentation of results:

In (semi-)inclusive measurements (say, p + p -> Y + X), producing some well defined state Y and the rest, X, summed over, is there typically a minimum cut made on the p_t of the state Y? If so why?

What is the reason of presenting results differential in p_t vs. Results integrand over p_t? Is one preferential to the other?

I guess p_t cannot be made too small because of angular resolution of the detectors but some exclusive reaction final states are identified with a low p_t so I wondered what the difference is there.

Physics news on Phys.org
On Y or its decay products, often on both. You need some pT to get the particles into the detector, and at very low p_T for combined particles you still get all sorts of backgrounds you don't want.
Differential measurements have more information than integrated measurements, but they are generally more difficult to do and require more statistics.

Likes vanhees71
Thank you.
mfb said:
On Y or its decay products, often on both. You need some pT to get the particles into the detector, and at very low p_T for combined particles you still get all sorts of backgrounds you don't want.
Why at larger p_t you get less background?
Differential measurements have more information than integrated measurements, but they are generally more difficult to do and require more statistics.
Is that because in differential measurements you are looking for the final state Y or its decay products in some pt (or say rapidity) bin while in integrated measurements you look for the final state with any pt?

Low pT is stuff close to the beam axis where you get fragments from the protons and other low energy QCD products. Some studies are interested in it, but most are not. Larger pT is less common and easier to describe theoretically. In addition it's using your bigger, better accelerator more.
CAF123 said:
Is that because in differential measurements you are looking for the final state Y or its decay products in some pt (or say rapidity) bin while in integrated measurements you look for the final state with any pt?
I don't know what "that" refers to.

Thanks.
mfb said:
I don't know what "that" refers to.
I was referring to the part of your reply where you said ‘[differential measurements]...are generally more difficult and require more statistics’.

As far as I know (maybe I am wrong), a necessity for an Exclusive process is a low p_t for the well defined state. Is this because at higher p_t there is less chance to find regions of the detector where there is no activity? (As needed for an exclusive event)

CAF123 said:
As far as I know (maybe I am wrong), a necessity for an Exclusive process is a low p_t for the well defined state.
Huh?
p_t can be whatever it wants. The sum of p_t of all particles in the event needs to be zero. Finding all particles in a high energy proton-proton collision is rarely feasible, but the particles that are not detected have a low p_t, so the overall sum over the transverse momenta of detectable particles is usually quite small (if all particles are found and there is no neutrino).

Thanks. Yup sorry I had meant central exclusive in the above so had in mind process of the form, p + p -> p + p + Y. As the event is exclusive, the two intact protons after collision basically go down the beam pipe and final state Y therefore must have low p_t.
But I guess generally you could have exclusive process with a state Y at larger p_t, as long as there is a large area in the detector around Y where nothing is found. I would think (?) in this case background would be a problem because Y could also belong to an inclusive event.

I am not sure, but some extra points:
There are many issues arising from low-##p_{T}## measurements, apart from the experimental points that affect the objects' reconstruction (e.g. pileup, underlying event, noise in detector and acceptance). For example, you can even have theoretical challenges for measuring/reconstructing too low-##p_{T}## jets (which later on affects your jet energy calibration). I think you are also affected by IR divergences from QCD/soft events.

Differential measurements are especially important e.g. for verifying the SM in all phase spaces (or trying to challenge it). You might have new physics appearing in a region of the phase space for example above some momentum threshold (e.g. ##p_T > 400\text{ GeV}##) and below which the new processes are suppressed.
If you looked inclusively starting from ##p_T > 20\text{ GeV}## you wouldn't see it (Except for if the new physics appeared with very large cross sections). In a similar manner that you would have never seen the Higgs boson in ##\gamma\gamma## if you had looked at the integral of ##m_{\gamma\gamma}## . You need statistics because you want your regions to be well populated for you to make the hypothesis test and not just observe statistical fluctuations.
If nothing appears, the differential measurement allows us to give constraints either to SM parameters or EFTs parameters that are not very easily constrained from the rest of the phase space.

1. What are low pt cuts in experimental measurements?

Low pt cuts refer to a selection criteria used in experimental measurements to exclude particles with low transverse momentum (pt). This is done to reduce background noise and improve the accuracy of the measurement.

2. Why are low pt cuts necessary in experimental measurements?

Low pt particles, such as soft radiation or particles produced by secondary interactions, can contaminate the data and make it difficult to extract meaningful information. By applying low pt cuts, researchers can focus on the particles of interest and improve the signal-to-noise ratio.

3. How are low pt cuts determined in experimental measurements?

The choice of low pt cuts depends on the specific experiment and the particles being studied. It is often determined through simulations and optimization studies, taking into account the experimental setup and expected background contributions.

4. What are the effects of applying low pt cuts on experimental measurements?

Applying low pt cuts can improve the precision and accuracy of the measurement by reducing background contamination. However, it can also lead to a loss of information about low pt particles, which may be important for understanding certain physical processes.

5. Are low pt cuts always necessary in experimental measurements?

No, low pt cuts are not always necessary. In some cases, the particles of interest have high pt and low pt cuts may not significantly affect the results. However, in many cases, low pt cuts are essential for obtaining accurate and meaningful measurements.