Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Low Temperature Expansion of Chemical Potential

1. Jun 16, 2008 #1
    I'm trying to derive a low temperature series expansion for the chemical potential of a weakly interacting Fermi gas. The starting point is, of course, the Fermi-Dirac distribution function (p is the particle momentum):

[tex]
    f(p) = \frac{1}{e^{\beta(\epsilon(p) - \mu)}+1} ,
    [/tex]

where, in the Hartree-Fock approximation, we have

[tex]
    \epsilon(p) = \frac{p^2}{2m} + n V(0) - \frac{1}{(2\pi \hbar)^3} \int d^3p' V(\textbf{p} - \textbf{p}' ) f(p').
    [/tex]

Here, [tex]m[/tex] is the effective mass, [tex]n[/tex] is the particle density, [tex]V(0)[/tex] is the interaction potential [tex]V(q)[/tex] at zero momentum transfer. The potential may be assumed to depend only on the momentum transfer [tex]V(\textbf{p} - \textbf{p}' ) = V(| \textbf{p} - \textbf{p}' | ) = V(q)[/tex]. The F-D distribution [tex]f(p')[/tex] in the exchange term may be approximated with the non-interacting one. The chemical potential is determined by the condition (spin-1/2):

[tex]
    n = \frac{2}{(2\pi \hbar)^3} \int d^3p f(p) = \frac{1}{\pi^2 \hbar^3} \int_0^\infty p^2 f(p) dp
    [/tex]

Now, the right-hand side should somehow be expanded as a series in [tex]( k_B T/ \mu)^2[/tex], which can then be inverted to give [tex]\mu[/tex] as a function of [tex]T[/tex]. It seems that the Sommerfeld method used for a non-interacting system is not easy to use in this case. I know the result should be the following:

[tex]
    \mu (T) = \mu_F (T) + n V(0) - \frac{1}{2} n \left[ F + G \frac{\pi^2}{12} \left( \frac{T}{T_F} \right)^2 \right] ,
    [/tex]

where
    [tex]
    F = \frac{3}{2 k_F^3} \int_0^{2 k_F} k^2 \left( 1 - \frac{k}{2 k_F} \right) V(k) dk .
    [/tex]
    and
    [tex]
    G = 3 \left( V(2 k_F) - \frac{1}{4} \int_0^{2 k_F} \frac{k^3}{k_F^4} V(k) dk \right) .
    [/tex]

The potential is now written as a function of the Fermi wave vector ([tex]p = \hbar k[/tex]). [tex]\mu_F (T)[/tex] is the chemical potential of a non-interacting Fermi gas. The zero temperature limit, i.e. [tex]F[/tex], is rather simple to derive.

Has anyone come across this problem or know any good references? I would really appreciate any assistance.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2008 #2
    I guess I could update this thread a little bit. I was able to derive the requested expansion somewhat after posting the above message. My approach was, however, slightly different. The result also had an extra term and reads:

[tex]
    G = 3 \left( V(2 k_F) + \frac{1}{4} \int_0^{2 k_F} \left( \frac{k}{k_F^2} - \frac{3}{2} \frac{k^3}{k_F^4} \right) V(k) dk \right) .
    [/tex]

The reason for this small discrepancy is unclear. By comparing the two results to numerical calculations using the exact equations, I find that my [tex]G[/tex] is a better approximation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?